Christmas Food / Present Discussion

Christmas discussion goes here.

Most importantly, what is on the menu? Please share recipes, before and after, etc.

Separately, how do I get a PS5? I assume this is impossible?

Friday, then Friday New Year’s Eve, is GOAT.

To 2020 ending!

The friday holidays have allowed me to take 2 weeks off while only using 5 days PTO, so I am pretty jazzed about that.

Other than that, I don’t celebrate christmas really as a pretty hardcore atheist. I didnt grow up with any real traditions around it so I dont feel I am missing anything. All the traditions we had involved relatives that are no longer around. My remaining family is scarce, so I just tell them to skip gifts for me and don’t expect one from me (except for my cutest little nephew).

I am probably a grinch for it, but it takes significant stress out of what is typically a very difficult time of year for me due to my seasonal affective disorder and this being the time of year with the least daylight.

@Mods, please move these posts to the appropriate holiday thread and ban @Riverman

3 Likes

Sorry. How did I miss that!?

nye is thursday

I’ll be making prime rib as usual and trying to make Yorkshire pudding for the first time

I ordered a bunch of stuff from a local italian restaurant, we’re getting a couple of BBQ pizzas (chicago tavern style, pre-made but uncooked), a huge tray of ravioli, italian spinach, etc. No brainer.

apertif: tanqueray negroinis, makers boulavardiers
with dinner: Folonari 2018 Valpolicella ($16/magnum, pretty fucking amazing for the price)
digestif: limoncello

2 Likes

Christmas Menu:

Cesaer Salad
Cheddar Biscuits
Crab Legs
Caramelized Banana Pudding

Drinks:
NEIPAS
Bourbon
Wine

Let’s go.

2 Likes

oh, and I always make my grandmother’s egg nog at christmas and new years, this year I’m making a bunch and putting it into mason jars and dropping a few off for all my family.

8 eggs, separated
1 quart heavy cream
1 cup sugar, divided
1 quart whole milk
4 shots whiskey
1 shot rum

(Important: you MUST have a flat-bottomed Tupperware to store this in overnight or it will fuck up in the fridge)

Put yolks in Tupperware

Whip cream, add 1/2 cup of sugar about halfway, beat until peaks and put in fridge

Whip egg whites (must use CLEAN beater, don’t get cream in there) until STIFFFFFFF, adding 1/2 c sugar halfway

Beat yolks in the Tupperware,

Add booze, continue beating

Add milk

Add cream

Fold in whites

Sprinkle nutmeg and put in fridge for 24 hours

Since no one is coming over I’m doing prime rib for the first time so I don’t have to share with anyone.

2 Likes

I’m considering buying one of those massive packages of king crab legs from Costco, but have no sense of how much food it is or really even how to prepare it. Like I obviously love it in restaurants with drawn butter only but have no clue how much work that entails after buying a huge box of frozen crab legs.

I don’t cook them but I’m pretty sure you just boil crab legs in a big pot of water, probably like the easiest protein to do yourself

For Christmas Eve I’m doing ribs on the smoker, probably some roasted brocolli and mac n cheese or some kind of potato. Will only be myself, wife and her friend who is single and was going to spend the night alone. For NYE I’m not sure, might smoke a small prime rib for the wife and I and eat it with some bread and/or veggies.

I don’t discriminate with alcohol so wine, beer and any liquor we have in the house (which is a lot) is a possibility

Grill it, steam it, or broil it. It honestly seems incredibly hard to mess up. Melt some butter and you are good to go.

Wife and I always take a day or two around the holidays to eat really good food, drink, and watch movies all day. This year we’re actually going with Christmas Eve and Christmas.

Christmas Eve - Bruschetta, Caesar Salad, and Pasta. Bread pudding dessert

Christmas - Charcuterie, Shrimp Risotto, and Beef Wellington. Bananas Foster dessert

Will be crushing several bottles of wine over the two days.

2 Likes

I bought a whole duck for Christmas alone. Will result in a huge amount of reserved duck fat. Need some potatoes. Maybe I’ll make a duck stock with the carcass.

I eat duck all year. Usually duck breast (med rare) but I get duck legs sometimes too. I love duck!!!

2 Likes

Did a duck for Thanksgiving this year and used the leftovers to make a broth that we then used for ramen. Duck broth was really good.

I’ll bet Kenji’s roasted potatoes would be amazing with this.

1 Like

They should be already cooked. so what you are doing is reheating them. The goal is to add heat without drying them out too much. Steaming them in the oven is a common way to prepare them. Put them on a rack above some water in a pan and cover with foil. Broiling/grilling is about adding high heat for a short period of time. Most people probably don’t have a pot big enough to boil king crab legs unless they cut the legs into pieces.

1 Like

I’m making it for the first time. What recipe do you follow?

I used this for Thanksgiving. Came out perfect.

2 Likes