China thread

https://twitter.com/ArmandDoma/status/1629888792256729089?t=1INCWIDCTuC_s48BOmuFqA&s=19

I teach at a HS in Shanghai. Started feeling like shit during a class before lunch. After class ask in group chat if there is a covid testing site on campus (which is huge, multiple high schools and the business school of a nearby uni). No place on campus to get tested and public testing sites in general are all shut down.

Texted my wife to see if she could bring me a covid test (we live just down the street). Turns out soonest we can get one is tomorrow at noon.

Went to the infirmary and clocked in at 101.8 F. I mentioned to the two nurses that I got Covid in the US back in September and didn’t get it at all in December, so I’m on a different schedule (to the extent that’s a thing idk). Just got a “hmm” and eventually “drink hot water, take medicine”. Nothing about taking a test. I had to request a note just in case HR made a fuss about me leaving early,. No record besides that.

Based on wechat groups I can see all pointless Thursday afternoon meetings went ahead as scheduled.

“China has never been at war with Covid-19” vibes

2 Likes

Huge policy change announced.

Birth certificates no longer require parents to be married, whereas previously the children of unmarried mothers were unable to get birth certificates and effectively lived their whole lives without an official identity.

Makes sense, probably a consequence of those semen milking facilities that Jordan Peterson has been bringing attention to. Gonna be a bunch of kids born outside of the context of a traditional family.

2 Likes

There’s recently been a shift among young metropolitan people away from marrying young and towards a more independent and even hedonistic lifestyle, possibly because of the hopeless housing situation.

This policy change will allow women to have babies from sperm donors as well as via conventional means.

The Pooh thing got kind of old a while ago, especially from people who think that the character is banned in China and/or that there’s something unique about not being allowed to mock Xi via Pooh.

This, however, I love

https://twitter.com/tingtingliuTVBS/status/1645043085318189056?t=8x42kEQ3Ig6yQV67snAGPw&s=19

1 Like

I suppose it says something about our two countries that a bunch of my students figured hamburgers and fries to be substitute goods rather than complements.

Annual war games start today and will partly take place in the Taiwan Strait. The biggest of these kind ever and more than twice as big as last year’s.

They’re huffing and puffing even louder this time.

Who do you mean by “they”? The war games are joint games between the US and The Philippines. Aren’t you in China? Doesn’t that get press over there?

I’m dumb and just woke up.

I was thinking about the simulated blockade from a few days back.

Not you being dumb. I was being a jerk and intentionally leaving out that it was the USA doing it.

The US isn’t the country that has a policy of eventually invading another country in that region, unless, you know, they just consent.

Every US military resource that’s used to up the cost of a Chinese invasion of Taiwan is well spent. The idea that China would totally respect Taiwanese sovereignty if not for that pesky USA is absurd.

Regarding what the Chinese press has to say, there isn’t much about the war games.

Looking at the Global Times website there’s nothing about them but rather multiple pieces about an apparent upcoming visit to Taiwan by weapons contractors. Hmmm

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202304/1289047.shtml

Read that and say with a straight face that the US is creating tensions.

The truth is, as it’s been for three decades now, that China could in one moment end all tension by pledging to recognize Taiwanese sovereignty and disavowing any military intervention aimed at integrating Taiwan into the PRC.

Taiwan would dump the US in an instant if China offered itself as a credible partner not intent on an invasion.

Aren’t you inside China right now? Is it risky to post like that?

As a foreigner posting on a foreign website? Not at all.

And honestly, The Great Firewall ain’t shit once you find the right VPN.

Might be better to be in China then soon. If the Restrict Act passes it could be a 20 year prison sentence for using a VPN.

2 Likes

Well, I use a prominent one which is rumoured to be owned by the party itself. Works fine.

Overemotional reply-guy foreigners aren’t a priority.

FWIW neither this place nor the old site are blocked. Step up your game, people.

Posting cringe baizuo, reddit liberal shit gets you 14 years in China right now.