Chess

Testing

I was hoping you would. :relaxed:

Pretty cool (ty @anon46587892). To embed a game, find the game on chess.com (a little bit of a pain, Iā€™m used to chessgames.com for classic games but I donā€™t think you can put their 20 year old java applets into iframes but maybe Iā€™m wrong), then click on the share icon:

Select the text Embed text and paste it into your reply

I get: <iframe allowtransparency=ā€œtrueā€ border=ā€œ0ā€ frameborder=ā€œ0ā€ height=ā€œ465ā€ width=ā€œ603ā€ src=ā€œ//www.chess.com/emboard?id=6268788ā€></iframe>

You wonā€™t see anything at first, you need to add ā€œhttps:ā€ to the beginning of src=ā€œ//www.chess.comā€¦ā€ so itā€™s ā€˜src="https://www.chess.comā€¦ā€™ so in the end you get:

Unstuck draws first blood! Look at that queen trap :smile:

1 Like
  1. Nf5+ sac is ? but I wanted him to play gxf5 so I could go 18. Qxd6, computer says I punted any advantage but looks kinda scary, at any rate the finish was reasonably accurate

Anyone use lichess and play blitz? Will add you to follow list or whatever.

More of a chess.com 2+1 man. Too many people using engines on that site at longer games.

I prefer 3-0, obviously for flagging people when they bust my ā€œtacticsā€

My MO is to induce blunders by playing utterly mediocre moves very fast.

I remember in 5th grade I was up against the reigning K-5 state champ.

So yeah opps dad apparently comes out, ā€œArgh that Chuckleslovakian is playing fast and smashing the clock every move trying to intimidate.ā€ Did that right in front of my mom and was so embarrassed when he realized he gave me a few free lessons. Turned out I missed out on winning a piece in that game alas.

Epilogue:Well I some how won the K-8 championship the next two years despite not even being close to highest rated

Iā€™m a dude in his 30ā€™s learning chess for the first time. Itā€™s really humbling. Iā€™ve only really played two games seriously in my life, poker and Magic, and I was fairly successful at both. That isnā€™t meant as a brag, but to contrast how terrible I am at chess. Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m especially bad at chess, chess is a really really tough game, or both. But in any case, it is rough going.

Iā€™ve been doing about 10-20 tactics per day, playing five to ten 15+10 games per week, watching some John Bartholomew YouTube videos, and some streams. Currently rated ~1000 in rapid on chess.com and stalled. Just lost 8 in a row and taking a break, feeling quite frustrated.

Thereā€™s a chess club at my school and would like to get good enough to enjoy attending once per week without getting slapped around by freshman kids :D

All beginnings are hard. I like to think Iā€™m decent decent in poker and chess, but in college someone taught me Go and then beat me though he gave me a 9 stone advantage.

Iā€™d advice you to spend some time analyzing your games, but other than that just keep doing what youā€™re doing.

I started to get better when I began playing against the computer and started watching real time analysis of my moves, playing out the variations of why a certain move is a big mistake. Also if you do have access to a chess program, pay attention to when you start deviating from the opening book, like if by move 3-4 the computer doesnā€™t recognize the line you are playing then you have basically always made an inaccurate move.

I think chess would be tough to learn in adulthood. Thereā€™s a classic experiment where the experimenters showed positions to both masters and novices for a very short time (like a second or two) and then asked them to recreate the position as best they could. As you might expect, masters were vastly better at this than novices and were generally able to recreate the positions exactly. Then they switched to positions which were just random assortments of pieces on the board, like not even legal chess positions. The masters were then no better than novices. Thatā€™s because when masters look at a chess position, they donā€™t see a scattering of pieces, they see a set of motifs, like ā€œWhite has a light square pawn center, Black has a queen-bishop battery pressuring the a7-g1 diagonalā€, etc.

What Iā€™m saying is, you have to get your brain to the point where it sees positions that way, and the only way to do that is time. Chess is a frustrating game when youā€™re just trying not to blunder pieces, because during that stage any deeper strategy is inaccessible to you, itā€™s just all top-level tactics.

I guess one piece of advice I have is to check your positions for loose pieces, i.e. pieces not defended by anything. You shouldnā€™t be aiming for zero loose pieces at all times or anything, but if you donā€™t know what to do in a position, consider making your pieces safer, especially if you can see ways they might be attacked by opponent pieces in the future. Loose pieces can become the victim of immediate tactics (like forks etc) and also can be a springboard for opponent initiatives, where they can make several moves in a row and youā€™re forced to just be reactive, defending your pieces.

It depends on what your goals are but I went from ~1300 to ~1800 in my (soon to be over) 30s. With structured study I think I could sniff 2000, which is about as good as I would ever want to get, you know, keep some mystery in it. But Iā€™m talking about online play only.

Thereā€™s definitely such a thing as chess aptitude as well, like separate to general intelligence. Masters can all play blindfold games and most are able to play several simultaneously. A couple years ago a grandmaster played 48 simultaneous blindfold games, scoring 80%. Iā€™ve never tried, but I canā€™t imagine I could play even a single blindfold game, my powers of visualisation are very bad. Iā€™ll have an opportunity to try in a few weeks time actually, Iā€™ll see how it goes. Anyway that has to be a drag on my ability to play non-blindfolded as well and is probably one reason I much prefer blitz, where I can rely on intuition more than deep calculation.

I watched Magnus Carlsen play three simultaneous blindfold games once, and one thing I found interesting was that at one point he said ā€œRook e1 to d1ā€ then paused and added ā€œThe rook might be on f1, but it doesnā€™t matterā€. Again, it shows that his brain is only seeing what is important in the position, to the point where irrelevant details become fuzzy to him.

Cool. Thanks, everyone!

I just started this summer also. I bought a Bobby Fischer book but havenā€™t gotten into it yet. I lose to the Magnus app at 8 year old Magnus level lol. I barely know anything about chess but watch this guyā€™s videos for way longer than I should.

Like I can sort of imagine playing one game blind, I think I can visualize playing "1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 b5 5. Bb3 ā€¦ " and I could probably get to the middle game. But thatā€™s just one game and to the middle game at best. 20 games simul, gtfo with that wizardry. Also as you touch on, itā€™s not mere visualization, I can ā€˜visualizeā€™ the bishop on Bb3 but I need to be looking at the board to really appreciate what diagonal itā€™s on and what it is attacking.

I can definitely do it for a number of moves into the game, especially if itā€™s a line Iā€™ve played before. I think circa 10-15 moves things are going to start falling apart though, lol. Iā€™m going away with some friends in late September, we will have a chess board, Iā€™ll pick one of them who isnā€™t very good and see how far I can get playing blindfold. No way I am going to be able to hold it together against anyone decent, but maybe against someone who will also have trouble handling complications.