Cancel Culture and the Harper's Letter

Feels bad, man.

https://twitter.com/jackalltogether/status/1280558857018802179?s=20

1 Like

I don’t get it with these ones. These are people being fired by institutions for expressing views contrary to the institutions desires. Free speech doesn’t mean freedom of consequences of speaking.

1 Like

I don’t even think Wente was fired, she withdrew her name after her appointment was going to be looked at again. Also when she was accused of plagiarism she even got to write an article defending herself and was still writing after that lol

Also LOL quillete

1 Like

I still dont see what is so objectionable here. The main subject of this article is described by his colleagues as having a long pattern of positions that collectively lean to racism.

So whose side would you be on in the Hollywood blacklists? MGM is a private company, hit the bricks Trumbo!

1 Like

KEEEED!

Hollywood blacklists came about because studios were afraid of the US Government, not because they were afraid of alienating their viewers.

1 Like

Is there any way to sum this up in a few sentences? I watched about 10 minutes but it was very meandering.

No. You should watch all the Contrapoints. She is brilliant and entertaining.

1 Like

The biggest “cancel culture is out of control” person in media is Bret Stephens, who cyber-stalked a total random in his twitter feed then e-mailed him and cc’d his boss in an effort to get the guy fired. That pretty much sums up the whole charade.

16 Likes

Maybe I picked a bad ten minutes to watch. There wasn’t much substance.

He doesn’t, although he didn’t get fired or anything. I think his podcast is still a RS thing. I was joking about him getting canceled, although some people certainly tried.

1 Like

OK? And? Chomsky would say win the argument. Argue with him, show him why he’s wrong, and failing that, show his readers why he’s wrong. Fang’s colleagues reported him to HR and had him make a hostage tape apology.

2 Likes

The thing about this is that (I’m gonna say it) bOtH sIdEs make inverse forms of the same error, which is wanting a simple set of hard and fast rules so you don’t have to think about individual cases. Sorry, but you have to think about individual cases, you really just do.

5 Likes

Thanks, I see where you’re coming from but but sure I agree with you on this one. Maybe I should have you cancelled.

Some combination of Taibbi sucking and/or being too weak and greedy to refuse to make the “hostage tape apology”.

The biggest factors in this sort of thing in the cases where it is nonsense is probably driven by HR/business school/lawyers corporate culture rather than mobs of SJWs.

That’s a good question. I guess the way I see it is that there’s always going to be a line. If someone shows up at work wearing a tshirt that says “actually blacks dont have rights so the cops should be able to execute them with no consequences” can they be fired? I would think yes, which means that absolutism on free speech has no practical purpose. No one owes hypothetical tshirt guy a good faith argument. And the horrors of Trumpism are what you get when you grant entitlement to good faith argument to people that have absolutely no belief in reciprocity and will weaponize your good faith.

2 Likes

She was nice to my dog though so she’s not all bad.

Maybe we should do a reading group on John Stuart Mill’s On Liberty. It’s quite short and touches on a lot of these cancel culture vs. free speech issues.

3 Likes

It seemed clear to me that the “problematic working environment” was Fang doing stuff that was similar to what precipitated all this, posting the video of the black guy saying black lives matter even if they’re killed by other black people. Which is exactly the sort of soft censorship I’m talking about. As Lacy said:

“Tired of being made to deal continually with my co-worker @lhfang continuing to push black on black crime narratives after being repeatedly asked not to. This isn’t about me and him, it’s about institutional racism and using free speech to couch anti-blackness. I am so fucking tired.”

And I’m not saying Lacy is making up that Fang had some takes she doesn’t like. I’m saying that trying to get Fang fired over takes like that is illiberal nonsense.

I dont know that stuff kind of sounds like All Lives Matter bullshit. Like it out of context sounds defendable but with known context is obviously a dog whistle.

Is the anti cancel culture crowd really just a bunch of supposedly respectable assholes that are mad that their dog whistles and coded language is being called out? That would make alot of sense to me.

1 Like