Camping

So you guys haul his tent and sleeping bag and other stuff?

I camp with my wife and her friends. We usually do two tents for 4 people.

Oh, also my wife’s hot friend is obsessed with skinny dipping. So we typically go canoe camping and when we get to our camp site she takes all her clothes off and goes swimming. That takes the edge off the discomfort of carrying a pack through the woods.

2 Likes

If you have a stomach made of metal and really want to maximize calories/weight, then I suggest the ramen bomb. Guaranteed to feed (beware: lots of sodium).

1 Like

Sodium is good when you’re putting in lots of miles.

Agreed, but even so, the ramen bomb gives me the “sodium throat” where my entire esophageal region burns for hours. But yes, I am a friend of salt on the trip.

ETA: Commonly known as heartburn, lol.

Is this basically dry ramen? I used to eat uncooked Raman in college, and actually liked it. This might be a good option. I don’t really want to haul around a cooking set up, because the eating is not really the part that I’m going for.

I have a hammock tent that I love and a sleeping bag that is overkill for Florida, but it’s thick so I can sleep on top of it and not have to worry about mosquitoes biting me through the hammock

I have a little set-up that only boils water. The “pot” is a fosters beer can with the lid cut and modified to slip into an aluminum cone which sits over a solid fuel tab. Half a tab boils a pint of water in about 4 or 5 minutes. The entire set up is a couple of ounces.

This here is basically what I take, with a few tweaks plus a small stuff sack:

I use it to make coffee in the morning and to boil water to rehydrate dinner. Nothing but water ever goes in the “pot”.

3 Likes

Never heard of a ramen bomb but seems weird. Wouldn’t it be hard to eat the mashed potato and ramen noodles together? This just seems like unnecessarily complicated noodles.

Yup. Dry ramen, idahoan mashed potatoes (any flavor) and Spam. I sub the spam for other meats. Mix contents in a freezer bag (freezer bags can withstand boiling water), add boiling water, mix, wait, eat.

1 Like

It becomes a nice little mush and while you are correct about complicated noodles, it’s eaten by thru hikers due to the calorie content. IIRC, it became a thing by AT thru hikers.

1 Like

Ramen and Stove Top Stuffing is a pretty good mix that we used to do.

2 Likes

A DIY Jet Boil. I love it!

1 Like

Yeah I think for my casual canoe tripping it’s enough to just eat “normal” food plus lots of snacks. Because we usually only go out for a few days at a time it’s not as important to max the calories per unit of weight.

1 Like

We generally go tent camping in developed campsites at least 4 times a summer. Wife and kid won’t poop in a bucket so we’re stuck with other people. We still enjoy it though, and our kid always makes friends.

Since my wife and I are WFH indefinitely, we’re looking for a travel trailer so we can work from anywhere that has WiFi. Unfortunate, it appears everybody else has the same idea. RV lots are empty.

We cancelled all of our camping trips to year out of caution using shared facilities.

Our favorite camping spot: La Wis Wis in south west Washington.

3 Likes

You can make them yourself but there is a place that sells these set ups. You can get one that burns alcohol fuel or a slightly different version that burns the solid fuel tabs. If I was thru-hiking a long distance I would burn alcohol because it’s easier to find. For 2 to 7 day hikes I use the solid fuel because it’s more compact and no need to carry a fuel bottle which could spill.

Look up Caldera Keg. The set-up for the fuel tabs is called the Gram Cracker.

1 Like

Spitballing here, would a teardrop trailer work for you? Maybe a tent for the kids while you and the wife use the trailer? I’ve recently gotten into fly fishing and am outfitting my Subaru Outback for camping and light overlanding. I have a complete backpack kit and will cannabalize the overalapping gear accordingly. I live in Texas and want to hit CO, NM and other locations so investing in campable transportation seems like the best option for me.

This is what I use for shelter. 8 ounces including guylines and stakes. And I have a really light bivy sack made from mosquito netting for use during bug season that adds another 5 ounces. I’ve used this set-up for dozens of nights in cold and rain in the White Mountains. I was obsessive about weight for a while and at one point had my entire set up (pack, shelter, stove, sleeping bag, mat) down to under 4 pounds.

1 Like

Nah, wife wants comfort. And the larger travel trailers aren’t much more expensive, or in some cases, less expensive than the teardrops. Also, can’t find tear drops. Also, can’t find a used truck that’ll pull the damn thing right now. I know unemployment is high but people are buying a lot of vehicles.

I’ve been fly-fishing most of my life. If you’re going through NM, make sure you fish the San Juan. Tiny, like a size 22 serendipity, will catch 22" fish.

Also, if you buy flies, big y fly co is a great spot to order online.

2 Likes

I did 9 days in Yellowstone. I don’t really remember what we ate (19 years ago). Nuts, chocolate, peanut butter, cheese and dried fruit I guess. I was a vegetarian, so no beef jerky. I think I remember we did pasta once, but mostly no cooking.

1 Like