Business & Management chat

Yes. But can be grouped. So boss will know it’s one of a half dozen people.

And if you’re leaving comments elaborating on the feedback they’re usually a giveaway

lol

My current manager is so bad that during our 1:1 today he didn’t even say the 2 word phrase that every manager needs to say to each of their employees once a year even after someone put it into slack. I got nothing.

Whats the phrase?

Thank you

1 Like

7 Likes

:candle:

6 Likes

We have these surveys every 6 months and they are done by an external company and our company only gets the anonymised results. Our team is too small for our manager to get team results so he only gets the combined results from the department which is the same for most teams here in Australia. When someone in the department complained about his manager being racist in the comments they couldn’t determine which manager the complaint was about. We had a meeting urging whoever it was to talk to HR but as far as I know that never happened.

That’s what the money’s for.

Lmao: grunching pony

My company publishes all the comments for all senior leaders to read.

A couple of surveys ago. there were a bunch of comments that basically said “omg x is a bully and a terrible human. I can believe hes been promoted” naming him by name.

So now we have to wait 2 or 3 weeks to get comments after the survey because someone has to go through and delete similar comments first.

Problem solved!

1 Like

I’m looking for better ways to record and manage my workload. I’m currently using a notebook with a to do list.

It works well enough but the status of different projects gets hard to follow. I thought about grouping the project but then it’s hard to surface my exact to do because tasks get buried within the the different projects.

I did read the Agile process and did make a physical Kaiban board which made it a lot easier to visually see tasks and or prioritize them, but it’s still lacking the ability document them and have the documentation tied to projects.

OneNote has the digital documentation that useful, but it doesn’t seem to have anything organized around tasks, only a to do check box.

Microsofts To Do app is too basic for what I’m wanting to do. Any ideas?

I’m thinking of ways to manage a team’s tasks as well. Right now there’s no company wide way or doing it and it’s left up to each manager.

You might try one of these agile project management software solutions

I don’t know anything about the software on that list but I bet one of them will probably do what you want.

We use teams foundation server at work but I doubt you’ll want that as it’s more of an enterprise wide solution.

Theres kanban boards in trello or in teams. I’ve used both. Seem fine.

Check out ClickUp

Recruiters are the absolute worst.

Arranged to talk to one over linked in. A bunch of back and forth to confirm meeting time.

No show. No call. Nothing.

Get fucked.

recruiters are mostly absolute scum, about 5% of them are worth their weight in gold, usually they are solo guys doing lone wolf work. Anyone at a big agency almost certainly sucks.

best advice when dealing with a recruiter: do not give them your phone number and only talk over email or zoom

Mrs Rugby having a shit time.

She just moved teams within the same place.

New manager seems either incompetent or racist or both.

• assumes she isnt competent
  • tells her basic shit like shes an idiot
  • constantly checks in on her work
  • wants to know every single one of her meetings. When she starts work. When she takes her lunch. When she checks out.
  • doesn’t believe her when she tells her things

In a one on one meeting. Mrs rugby said she needed to go to the bathroom. New manager told her to sit down so they could finish… wtf.

Edit. Mrs Rugby is amazing at her job and super over qualified. She had a superstar reputation with her old team.

1 Like

Random update on being a journal editor. There continue to be virtually no benefits to serving in this role. So that’s not great. It’s nice to say I was an editor, but similar to running a marathon, it’s nice to have done it, but not that nice to actually be doing it.

Anyway, this isn’t really a business/management thing, but more of a peer review thing. One surprising thing is the variation I see in reviewer recommendations. I get assigned a paper, select reviewers to evaluate the paper, and then based on those reviews (and my own reading), I make a decision on that paper. The possible decision outcomes are:

• Reject the paper
  • Reject the paper in its current state, but allow the authors to revise and resubmit the revised version
  • Accept the paper for publication

It’s crazy to me how often the reviewers come back with very divergent recommendations. Like, reviewer 1 says “I like the paper and think it needs only minor revisions”, while reviewer 2 says “I don’t like the paper and I think it’s flaws are not fixable, so reject”. Blech.

What makes this especially frustrating for an author is that tenure decisions can easily be influenced by the outcome of a single paper. And the outcome of that single paper can be very, very… not random, but maybe arbitrary? Like, I might think that person X and person Y would be the two most appropriate reviewers for a paper. But if they already have a review outstanding, I go to person M and person N. That shift very possible could be the difference between a paper getting accepted and getting rejected. Wild stuff.

1 Like