British Comedy Thread

Big Train and Green Wing come to mind - Green Wing being a particular fav of mine.

2 Likes
1 Like

Just an amazing show.

1 Like
3 Likes

https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1294197070212079616

1 Like

Big Partridge fan

4 Likes

Less so the last year or so, but Iā€™ve been a big fan of UK panel shows for years. I hope that makes me an honorary pensioner. Got into QI first when all of it was available on youtube. Developed a serious thing for David Mitchell after seeing a few of his rants on Would I Lie to You? (also shoutout to Bob Mortimer). Love Sean Lock, so I like the various big fat yearly quiz things, and also obviously 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown. And also Mock the Week.

On the more conventional gameshow front, Only Connect is best in class. The tall dudeā€™s House of Games is ok. Pointless is a cool premise but wtf with the host reading every fucking answer twice, on the long clues it takes forever.

Itā€™s funny to see James Corden and John Oliver in some of these. I wonder if in their fevered nightmares they wake up and think their careers in America were all a dream and they still live in Cardiff or wherever and they have to go tape another episode of Mock the Week.

4 Likes

Only Connect is a must-see for me, I canā€™t miss an episode.

2 Likes

The Royle Family is a favourite of mine. First time I saw it the episode was halfway through and I briefly thought it was another bs reality TV show. Itā€™s my go to sleep show, perfect with no laugh track.

I also love Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister and strongly encourage anyone who hasnā€™t watched it to give it a go. I think it has held up well with time and is still pretty relevant.

Red Dwarf is great, particularly the earlier seasons where itā€™s just the 4 of them. Iā€™m not even a huge sci fi person (although I have watched a fair amount due to my bf) itā€™s just really funny.

Fleabag is pure genius.

Other shows worth a go, some less well known. Iā€™ll add more in another post.

Him and her
Some Girls
No Heroics
Getting On
Damned
Detectorists
The Job Centre
Spaced

2 Likes

Iā€™ve always loved the Squash sketch. Seriously they were so superior to Morecambe and Wise itā€™s almost unfair to compare them imo.

1 Like
4 Likes

I have a man crush on Matt Berry :heart:

2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

Loool how have I never seen this before

1 Like

Dennis Waterman lol

1 Like