Bowling! Anybody Throw The Rock?

Hmm yeah the dry lanes for open bowl might be the biggest problem. In that case I might just start with a new spare ball and go from there. I have the axis numbers on paper somewhere but it’s been at least 15 years since they drilled it. Probably different now anyway.

Grunching

Played Duck Pin bowling with my grandsons. Anyone hear of it, try it?

I’m very protective of my arm/elbow health (tennis player) so I enjoyed the significant low strain of the small balls.

The grandsons (5 and 8) were able to roll in the 50s without bumpers.

Biggest downside is lack of pin action so tons of splits.

Played duck pin once while visiting University of Maryland.

But if you think lots of splits is a downside stay the fuck away from candlepin.

I hit my first 400 series in candlepin a couple months ago. The next week, I didn’t crack 100 once. Stupid game

What’s candlepin?

That sounds harder.

Yeah. There is way less margin for error. I have a 114 average and that’s good for 4th out of like 50 male bowlers in our league (and our alley is way more forgiving than the average house.) Not clearing pins after each throw “usually” helps out but you can throw a perfect ball in the pocket and be left with a ridiculous split. Or you can miss the head pin by a couple boards, hit the pin to the left, and only knock that one down.

Like I said. Stupid game.

1 Like

The duck pin has some of the same issues. The one we played had the pins on cords that will pull the pins up to reset (knock over pins would remain elevated).

But still probably a lot more pin action that candle.

1 Like

I gotta know. How difficult is the double flying eagle Belmo hits in this video?

Imagine the setup is more important than the shot itself

Looks like fun. The long shots were impressive. Belmo seems like a pretty cool fellow. And I’d get thrown out of the bowling center if I ever tried the double flying eagle, or any flying eagle. That’s right.

Got myself a ball finally. I can only throw a baby hook right now got to figure out how to get some more revs but it’s nice having something that actually fits my hand.

Going to try and go at least once a week this summer. I’m basically throwing the far right line in the pic, if i move left i don’t get hook at the end.

1 Like

Could you tell me the brand and model of your new ball? And hopefully you had it drilled with a “fingertip” grip, where you insert your fingers only up to the first knuckle. Most house balls are conventional grips where you insert up to your second knuckle. Also, consider moving even farther right and trying to throw down first arrow and you should get even more hook.

Yeah I’m using fingertip grips, it’s a 15 lb Storm Tropical Surge.

1 Like

That’s a good ball. I like Storm products. You’ll learn the ball’s tendencies as you use it more.

ball’s tendencies lol

It’s an easy mad lib at this point.

“_____[Proper noun], the biggest _____[noun] in the world, has grown rapidly in recent years. Fueled by private equity groups, the firm’s expansion has ruined _____[verb] for many while its executives pull in massive profits.”

3 Likes

I see that company mentioned a ton on the bowling reddit they sound awful. Trying to turn alleys into arcade/party clubs, don’t oil the lanes etc. Luckily the alley 5 minutes from me is still run by the same people for the past 50+ years. I would be very sad if they went out of business. It’s a pretty popular alley for leagues so hopefully they’re doing ok.