Bowling! Anybody Throw The Rock?

Yes. Lots of variance. Balls that should not strike get strikes due to lucky bounces. Good shots sometimes don’t strike. The adjustment you think is right turns out to make things worse. This is most likely what happened to Belmo, or a problem with his mechanics of shot making.

Bowlers also often bet on themselves in brackets to try to make extra cash.

1 Like

Pitchers and catchers report pretty soon here, so I figured we ought to have a thread

2 Likes
1 Like

@Chippa58 something else i was wondering about sorry for spamming you with questions.

The difficult oil patterns make it harder to hook the ball properly, if I understand correctly. So if you throw a straight ball the oil pattern doesn’t matter as much, does it? If i average 160-170 shooting straight i’d probably do the same on the US open lanes?

So in my candlepin league, I (112 average) went into the last half against a guy (98 average) with a 30 point lead. I bowled a 60 half.

We lost by 24

I think the answer to that is maybe. You’re right that the pattern does not matter as much if you are using a plastic ball, which is drilled not to hook. But that straight angle from the foul line to the pins doesn’t allow for a lot of strikes. The hook allows for a better entry angle to the pocket to succeed at striking. Part of what happens on hard patterns is that accuracy is decreased, so a pro’s strike percentage goes down. You have to shoot at more spares, so you miss more spares, even if you are converting them in the same percentage that you usually do. 160-170 isn’t going to cut it the US Open, or even at the USBC Open Championships that I bowl in, so most people will still try to hook and strike rather than using that straight angle. But your theory is basically correct (in theory).

1 Like

I haven’t explained handicap yet in this thread. Most leagues are handicap leagues. So, if your average is 150 and mine is 200, and if we bowl against each other heads up in a league, you will probably get 45 pins in handicap against me. Usually, it’s about 90% of the difference between the two averages. So, if you shoot 150 again, and I shoot my normal 200, I will beat you by five pins. You don’t get a full 100% in handicap because that would eliminate the incentive to improve. But all of this is dependent on the bowling center consistently putting out the highest scoring pattern possible. Sometimes the lane machine is malfunctioning and puts out an unintentionally harder pattern. That affects me much more than you, (because you’re not taking advantage of the easy pattern anyway) and when that happens, you suddenly become very hard to beat. So, in reference to your earlier question, the harder pattern is going to hurt me a lot more than you.

1 Like

This bowling talk needs to have 100x less oil discussion and 100x more Pete Weber

1 Like

Who is that dude that looks like Bob Ross? I’ve seen him on my TV screen a few times in the past several days.

That would be Kyle Troup. Son of Guppy Troup, who was a touring pro in the 70’s/80’s and was known for his flamboyant clothing. Kyle is a bit of a chip off the old block with his hair being his schtick. I’m not a big fan personally, but that’s just me. He throws a good two-handed shot and makes the tv shows fairly frequently. He’ll need to win four games in a row today to get the title. I think he’ll win his first game, but will lose to Anthony Simonsen, who is my prediction to win it all for the second year in a row.

1 Like

He does have a relatively pretty looking two handed throw. Like Belmo. Some of the two handers are really unaesthetic to my boomer eyes.

Championship game, Troup starts off with an open frame. And Tackett immediately lets him off the hook with an open in the second.

Match is even going to 10

That was a pretty good show, even though women’s basketball went way over causing us to miss virtually all of the first game. The money means a lot to these guys and it’s tough to earn it, so they are understandably super happy when they win an event like this.

1 Like

My unbreakable bowling history.

• Go bowling for first time in 5 or 10 years.
  • Game 1: 195
  • Game 2: 165
  • Game 3: 127 (thumb is by now in indescribable pain)
  • See you in another 5 years
4 Likes

Belmonte the GOAT shipped his 15th major on Sunday. I was planning to attend this with some friends but we couldn’t quite work it out. Regretting not just going by myself now because it’s not every day you can drive a short distance to see a sports legend break records. I’ve watched most of these matches and the oil looked insane based on how much they were struggling.

https://twitter.com/PBATour/status/1637513535260377088

1 Like

Yep, those who watched definitely have a greater understanding of “out of bounds” on an oil pattern. It’s not often that you see guys missing the three pin on the right on their strike shots, but that happened at least twice.
I always prefer to watch tourneys with tough patterns. It’s pretty boring when scores are through the roof and the players are striking on nearly every shot. As much of a bowling fan as I am, I have never attended a pro tourney. Would be fun to do it. I think the ball speed and rotation they generate would be something to see in a live setting.

Who has the second most majors?

I don’t know, but if I were to guess, I’d say probably Walter Ray WIlliams.

You’d think PBA would update their own site faster than Wikipedia but guess not. WRW Jr has 8.