Board Games

Tabletop Simulator is that. There are hundreds of games already built on it so you can play most any game you can think of.

Tabletopia.com is a browser-based one as well, with more official digital versions of games, so a lot of Kickstarter games come there digitally during the campaign so you can play it for free digitally and then back it if you like it.

Steam also has Lorenzo Il Magnifico as a standalone game and others like Terraforming Mars and Scythe like that as well.

I play on BoardGameArena constantly (10 games at a time async). Mostly Clans of Caledonia, Canā€™t Stop, Roll for the Galaxy.

And I play on yucata.de the same way. Mostly Castles of Burgundy, Snowdonia, Macao, Carpe Diem.

1 Like

I do have this and have never played it! Unfortunately timing tends to get in the way of remote gaming but would be willing if I ever have a chance.

Yeah, Kingdomino is another good early one.

And Machi Koro.

I didnā€™t board game much from when my daughter was 2-8 so I donā€™t have experience trying to get someone that young into gaming. Just nurture their love of fun and games and competition using the kiddie games and then move into Splendor and Sushi Go etc when you think they may be ready.

Iā€™ll play a game on Tabletop Simulator sometime. Eyebooger and I did Great Western Trail there once. The only issue with it is getting enough people. Using their lobby doesnā€™t work very often, so planning a group of 3-5 on here or using discord or other board game communities to get people is the way to go.

There arenā€™t usually any rules built into the games. It simulates the physical game and you grab and move the pieces like in a real game so you have to know the rules (and we can teach) and follow them like you would in real life.

9-midnight eastern is usually the best time for me to get on if we plan something.

Codenames is great. We play all the time in POG and could definitely play Codenames here on unstuck if we can get people who want to play.

Codenames. Shows how long itā€™s been since Iā€™ve played lol

Could always go with Cards Against Humanity too

One thing to note is that even if you get your daughter into them, your wife still may not come along. But at least youā€™ll have a great bonding activity with your daughter.

I went to local MeetUps to board game for awhile (they are basically every night of the week but Friday in Atlanta area at a Jasonā€™s Deli or other restaurant) and now my daughter goes with me since sheā€™s into it. Sheā€™ll spend 50 hours over 4 days at a gaming convention and not be ready to leave when itā€™s over.

Of course, now with Corona that wonā€™t be happening for 6+ months. Touching the same pieces and cards and sitting around a table with people for long periods of time is prolly one of the better ways to spread it.

Yeah at 4, candy land is prolly your best bet.

Great 2 player game that my wife loves is Patchwork. Nordic Countries is probably the best Ticket to Ride 2 player that Iā€™ve played. We also play a lot of Splendor and Pandemic (though Iā€™ve nixed that lately).

Some that we play with a 9 year old and enjoy:
-King of Tokyo - as far as kid friendly games this is probably my favorite. There are some fun expansions.
-Carcassone
-Catan
-Bananagrams
-Blokus
-Mice and Mystics - this is a light roleplaying game.

Any of you played Pandemic Legacy?

I bought it over the summer, and tried to start playing it with friends in February, but the entire Legacy Deck component is missing. Amazon wonā€™t take the return since it was purchased so long ago, and literally the day before I opened the box, the maker Z-Man Games changed their policy to not replace missing components. I canā€™t get their support to respond to me.

Does anyone have the full (or mostly full) Legacy Deck? Iā€™d be happy to pay you for it.

Yeah, King of Tokyo is a good early one to introduce to kids and is fun enough for adults; my son will play that one

That sucks. We played season 1 and threw it out when we were done for obvious reasons. Now making our way through season 2.

Amazon having a little Buy 2 get 1 free sale on board games and video games. Think Iā€™m going to pull the trigger on 7 Wonders and Splendor, anyone see a good third game to add? If not Iā€™ll just get something on PS4. Some options I donā€™t know much about: Dixit, Realms of Terrenoth, and Blossoms

Mysterium is pretty fun.

Yeah I might get that. Is 3 games for $30 a particularly good deal? Probably wonā€™t be playing any of these any time soonā€¦

Under normal circumstances itā€™s a good deal. Your second point is a very valid concern though. I really hope itā€™s not too long before I can do face-to-face board games again.

chess is the royal game

1 Like

Some of my favorites not mentioned here yet are:
They are almost all 30-45 min (per player) games.

• Caverna (1-7 players, although played mostly with 3-4 players). Very fun although unfortunately a few too many useless buildings that are never ever used in the game.
  • Terra Mystica (Probably played over 500 games of this), 14 different races. Played mostly on bga.
  • Ora & Labora
  • Through the Ages. Great 2plr game, also great with 3, so so with 4. (careful there is an old and new version, definitely get the new version)
  • Caylus, been a while since I played it but remember it being quite fun, a game with a lot of blocking/player interaction.
  • Agricola. Havenā€™t played this one in a long time, but have over 1k games under my belt. One of the most replayable games out there (some cards are OP and should be removed though).

Probably a bunch more that donā€™t come to mind atm.

2 Likes

Would love to re-learn Terra Mystica (played like 2 or 3 times several years ago), Through the Ages or Caylus sometime on BGA if youā€™re willing.

I just got the premium account for bga so I can start tables and invite people if we want to play some Terra Mystica or other games