Bailout / Stimulus Discussion (Hints Missed & Shartz Fired)

Takes 10 non-Sunday days for pocket veto

Someone hit him with something heavy.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/DelWilber/status/1343366106048847873

“The Senate will start the process for a vote that increases checks to 2k”
Mitch: “lol fuck you”

onion

He’s tying the 230 to the 2k so Dems won’t vote for it

35 posts were merged into an existing topic: What does a Section 230 repeal look like?

10 days is how long the President has to sign or veto the bill. If they don’t sign it in 10 days, it becomes law. The pocket veto happens when the President does not sign the bill, and Congress goes out of session within the 10 day period.

Hilarious the market is up again on the bill being signed. I mean what did they realistically expect? It to not get passed?!

1 Like

was this his actual statement? If so whats the deal with this impoundment thing? just delays those other funds by 45 days?

“As President of the United States it is my responsibility to protect the people of our country from the economic devastation and hardship that was caused by the China Virus.

I understand that many small businesses have been forced to close as a result of harsh actions by Democrat-run states. Many people are back to work, but my job is not done until everyone is back to work.

Fortunately, as a result of my work with Congress in passing the CARES Act earlier this year, we avoided another Great Depression. Under my leadership, Project Warp Speed has been a tremendous success, my Administration and I developed a vaccine many years ahead of wildest expectations, and we are distributing these vaccines, and others soon coming, to millions of people.

As President, I have told Congress that I want far less wasteful spending and more money going to the American people in the form of $2,000 checks per adult and $600 per child.

As President I am demanding many rescissions under the Impoundment Control Act of 1974. The Act provides that, “whenever the President determines that all or part of any budget authority will not be required to carry out the full objectives or scope of programs for which it is provided, or that such budget authority should be rescinded for fiscal policy or other reasons (including termination of authorized projects or activities for which budget authority has been provided), the President shall transmit to both Houses of Congress a special message” describing the amount to be reserved, the relevant accounts, the reasons for the rescission, and the economic effects of the rescission. 2 U.S.C. § 683.

I will sign the Omnibus and Covid package with a strong message that makes clear to Congress that wasteful items need to be removed. I will send back to Congress a redlined version, item by item, accompanied by the formal rescission request to Congress insisting that those funds be removed from the bill.

I am signing this bill to restore unemployment benefits, stop evictions, provide rental assistance, add money for PPP, return our airline workers back to work, add substantially more money for vaccine distribution, and much more.

On Monday the House will vote to increase payments to individuals from $600 to $2,000. Therefore, a family of four would receive $5,200. Additionally, Congress has promised that Section 230, which so unfairly benefits Big Tech at the expense of the American people, will be reviewed and either be terminated or substantially reformed.

Likewise, the House and Senate have agreed to focus strongly on the very substantial voter fraud which took place in the November 3 Presidential election.

The Senate will start the process for a vote that increases checks to $2,000, repeals Section 230, and starts an investigation into voter fraud.

Big Tech must not get protections of Section 230!

Voter Fraud must be fixed!

Much more money is coming. I will never give up my fight for the American people!

2000X4 = 5200?

Wat?

lol guessing they meant 2000X2 parents and 600x2 kids but dont think thats how it would be.

“Unemployment benefits being paid out to about 14 million people through pandemic programs lapsed on Saturday but will be restarted now that Trump has signed the bill.

The delay, however, forced people to lose a week of some federal jobless aid that had been extended under the measure, Washington Governor Jay Inslee said, even as he and other governors in both parties welcomed the bill’s signing.”

Inslee saying that unemployed lose a week of some of the aid due to Trump signing Sunday instead of Saturday

Ok here is the reason:

“states can’t provide payments for weeks that start before the bill is signed. Since Trump didn’t act Saturday, those in these two programs would not receive benefits for the final week of the year”

So him waiting means people lose out on an entire week of benefits now.

The affected are those in PUA (contractors, etc) and those who used their 26 weeks of state unemployment but can now get 13 weeks for the $300. Neither gets anything for this week now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/heatherscope/status/1343693101873975301

4 Likes

That’s what? 50ish Republicans? Better than I expected. Still won’t pass the Senate,but that gives us some decent equity in the runoffs

It certainly puts them in a bad spot. Good. Fuck em.

Will Senate even vote? I’d guess no.

Action now turns to the Senate, where it’s unclear if the chamber will even take up the House proposal, despite Trump insisting Sunday night he had secured an agreement from Republican leaders to do so.

In a press conference Monday, Schumer said Trump needs to be much more vocal in demanding Republican support if he wants to get the stimulus boost enacted.

“These Senate Republicans have followed you through thick and thin,” Schumer said. “To the president: talking is not enough. Act. Get on the phone and get those Republicans in the Senate to support $2,000 in relief.”

1 Like

https://twitter.com/heatherscope/status/1343693667119280129?s=20

The House was already scheduled to be in session Monday to dispatch another Trump-related wrinkle — the president’s veto of the annual defense policy bill. The bill, which has been signed into law for nearly 60 years straight, passed both chambers earlier this month with veto-proof majorities. If the House and Senate are successful this week in bucking Trump, it will be the first veto override of his presidency.

Late Monday, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said he would block Senate consideration of the veto override until Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell agreed to bring the House’s stimulus check bill up for a vote.

4 Likes

Raises an interesting question, how many actually good senators are there, like 5?