Ads on Unstuck

I was joking about the sex doll thread because I had just watched the Netflix bit about Whitney Cummings’ sex doll but wtf is going on itt? I laugh at the stupid ads. Is this real life? Oh yeah, got a 90s mom joke out of it also.

2p2 had ads literally popping up that blocked my whole screen on ios devices for months.

1 Like

How much is enough before someone can make an issue of it?

Noted. I will consider all your future criticisms accordingly.

1 Like

At least you guys are consistent

Make an issue of it all you want. I don’t think SA is arguing in good faith. For example, he complains about the ads but wants to go back to Proboards where there are ads and we have zero control over them.

It’s a website, it has ads. Block them, ignore them, gleefully click them to take a few cents out of coffers of the right wing political machine, whatever. I don’t see what the big deal is.

@kerowo, correct me if I am wrong but a lot of this goes back to the imbroglio involving the behind the scenes email group. You might have a legitimate grievance there. Please keep in mind that very few people were interested in investing time into making this website happen. There was begging and pleading to get the broad community involved. An OWS type democracy works if everyone is really emotionally invested into the movement. That just isn’t the case for an internet forum. Understandably most people just want to browse the forum and maybe post but not put any more effort into it than that.

What if a Trump loving board seceded off, created their own spot, and proceeded to be inundated w/ ads for Obama and Nancy? How would they react?

So that means one of two things imo, either A: This group is more enlightened and can laugh all the way to the bank due to them being above it all. Or B: Y’all a bunch of pussies, just like they always said.

Feels like Trump cucked you. Sad.

1 Like

I don’t know if that’s worth $5.

Sorry.

Zikzak 4 mod!

This is probably true, and while I wasn’t involved with that I do think it’s worth noting that a good-faith effort was made to patch things up with kerowo and he was personally invited to be one of the people running the site. That effort was rebuffed and the offer declined.

Originally the email group was just people whose email I knew before they were threatening to close 2p2 pol. Around April 17th-20th I sent out some PMs inviting more people to it. Kerowo responded to me with his email on April 19th. Cuserounder started Exiled on April 20th. I didn’t know Cuse was starting a site. I don’t think there was a single group email sent after April 20th (I can’t find one). I neglected to inform kerowo or do anything to add him to a mailing list that was obsolete after Exiled started.

There was/is a Slack group as well that someone else started. I don’t know if kerowo was invited to that or not, but it was basically not used for governance issues after Exiled started. And not everyone in either that or the email group did anything on any of the committees.

You want this to be a community run site but as a part of the community have no interest in its operation other Than to complain. How is that fair to those who are doing something?

I think it is fair to put your complaints in context.

Undoubtedly there is some spillover from the way things happened back there and that is why I’m fairly unengaged in how things work over here. My understanding is that there were ads on Proboards because we weren’t paying for the forum, it was their free-ish plan. Which makes getting annoyed by Trump ads on our private, donation run site annoying. Particularly when the reason for it is to “stick it to the Conservatives” to the tune of less than a latte a week. That’ll show those smug bastards!

We’re pissing ourselves off to own the conservatives…

1 Like

Zikzak I have absolutely no problem with you, you never quit the site in a huff after threatening to do whatever it was greg threatened to do, nor did your treatment of me in public ever differ from your treatment of me in private. I appreciate the effort you put into prototyping this site and while I disagree with some of your choices I support what you guys did and are doing. I believe I put such a proposal to a vote a while before the new site was formed. I’m not interested in quibbling about what “good faith” or “patch up” means, suffice it to say I don’t trust micro or greg and doubt that is changing anytime soon.

From this thread it is unclear what we are. I thought it was for input on advertising, which I provided. The reasoning for the ads we’re seeing was provided as was the amount of money they they’re bringing in. It doesn’t seem to me the juice is worth the squeeze. I’m not against ads, I’m against these ads.

I spent a lot of time and effort trying to shape the way the first site was organized and run and was so spectacularly unsuccessful at it that I’m surprised I wasn’t banned. I’m really not interested in going through that again.

Such was the good-faith attempt at patching things up.

At least you guys are consistent.

Deleted because I was venting. I thought you didn’t read my posts.

I’m not trying to patch things up. I did nothing to you and you went around Exiled making bullshit accusations about me. You can fuck off forever.

And you have a lot nerve not trusting greg. He’s doing a shitload for the site and has made zero claim for anything at all ever. Talking about him taking his ball and leaving is such BS when he was mad (at you I guess) for a day and you have been grudging for months and you’re the only person officially declaring that they’ll do nothing for the site at all which you just try to make things harder for anyone who does. Sounds like a troll.

I hesitate to poke my head inside a hornets’ nest, but I will simply point out that listening to user feedback (often in the form of complaints) has got to be very high on the list of “community run” principles. Users are the community, right?

I too am not in favor of ads on this site from conservative entities. The argument that it is somehow a good thing since we are wasting their ad-spend money is not at all compelling to me. The negative impact on the user experience of getting those ads is far, far, far more important.

1 Like

Really any website should listen to their users. What should make this a community run website is that some user should take it upon themselves to start another thread on ads with a poll, they should do it in a part of the site with more traffic, if the results are inconclusive they should try to do something about compromise and consensus building and when one can reasonably say that the community as a whole has given this consideration, understanding that we’re never going to get near everyone to vote or anything, but still a lot more than this…after that, they should insist the admins do as the community wants.

That’s what should happen and the admins shouldn’t do it. If someone would step up to take my place as Treasurer/Admin, I’d do it.