Ads on Unstuck first poll

Well, all I know is when I started talking boxing and video games in the LC and the place was hopping … our martyr came in bitching that the thread was leaking.

He works so hard tho.

Seriously fuck off bro

Dude also said that participating in these discussions counts as hours of him working towards the site

Sometimes it feels like years.

1 Like

I want to think this is some kind of level, because it is in no way grounded in reality, but unfortunately I suspect you are actually serious.

Calling them thugs and stalinists is from so far out of the blue I hope the people who have put real work and money out of their pockets into this site just laugh it off. Because what you are saying is a joke, for real.

3 Likes

SA,

Stalin’s elections were fake. This vote isn’t and neither was the one that was 50-2 on exiled. You shouldn’t fuck off, but your opinion on this is not widely held. You should take that into account.

the people didn’t know what they were voting for in terms of the scope of the supposed mandate, and they were lied to about what would be done. the forum software isn’t easily modifiable, as was claimed. i have to click all over every post just to follow a conversation, and there is no solution in sight and no one is working on one, even though we supposedly have a guy busting his ass working on the site full time. this software is not conducive to an easy reading experience where dozens of people are talking about different things in one thread at once, which counts for ~all the conversations this community has ongoing. the only thing revolutionary about this site was the complete overthrow of our community government. and now the guy wants us to pay him for it.

All of that is just like your opinion and it’s not a commonly held opinion either. Most people think this software is better as it is. And they know what they’re voting for now, don’t they?

I don’t understand why you aren’t ok with just using ad-blocker. Would you be ok if you were put in a group the didn’t get ads?

just scrolling and reading is better than scrolling a little bit, stopping, clicking, then scrolling again. it’s evidently an unchangeable aspect of this software, and it’s not as good as just having autoquote for replies

1 Like

Again, that’s just your opinion. I think it’s easier to quote things, easier to follow conversations, and easier to navigate around threads in this software.

And you may recall, I thought just staying on Exiled would have been fine, though not because I thought the software was better.

why are you ok with zz unilaterally deciding to show everybody a bunch of ads and pocketing the money with no accountability or oversight? why is that ok?

would you show the other 200+ members of our community a bunch of dumb ads every day for $5 a month? just knowing you from your posting, i can’t imagine you would. i imagine you’d do the opposite and donate the $5 personally if we were in a different situation and that was the price to disable ads for everyone.

I don’t care much about seeing ads. Since de-adminning I’ve let my ad-blocker block ads on the PC, but I just let it be on my phone. I assume everyone can use adblocker if they want and if they need help I bet gregorio would help them. (I would too) Mainly I want the site to work and ZZ is the one doing it and it doesn’t much matter, so I think it’s best to let him do it. There’s just so little cost.

I would like ads to be cool things instead of less cool things (see my vote), but that position isn’t really widely held, so I will try to do something like suppliment ads with cool ads or find a cooler alternative to AdSense or something. Or maybe not. Most people are fine with the status quo.

And it wasn’t unilateral. There was a vote about ads on Exiled and it was 50 to 2. And the vote was very clear, but maybe some people didn’t read it all. This is another vote.

fyp

It’s true that I don’t want to hurt zz’s feelings, but I also want him to keep doing what he’s doing. I realize that I’m not going to get every single thing exactly the way I want and I’m trying to be part of plotting a course that keeps things functioning and do the best I can to keep and foster the things that I think are most important.

4 Likes

before this ad fiasco, i wouldn’t have thought any regular contributing member of this community would actively decide to pocket $5/month in return for selling out the community, but i hear ya, maybe the next person would be even more corrupt. like maybe hobbes would shock us all and sell our email addresses to buy a scratch-off lottery ticket, or a couple sticks of gum, or however these kleptocratic authoritarians spend their ill-gotten gains.

At some point I’ll try to draft something like an ad policy and run another poll, but just for discussion, what do people think about allowing members to opt out of ads? We know adblocker is a thing, but maybe people don’t want to use it. N00bs and lurkers will get ads, regs who really don’t want them can just ask and be put in an Ad-free group.

We foster the notion that looking at ads is a donation and regs may just choose to see ads as a contribution.

SA is serious in kind of a joking way. A lot of us thought he was just joking at first. This has come up before.

I voted “slightly prefer no ads” because, well, I slightly prefer not having ads. However, my slight preference for not having ads is outweighed by my preference that the admins get compensated for their work. I recognize that they have been uncomfortable with taking money so far but I think they are entitled to it as a result of their labor.

I am in favor of the “donate to get ads removed” idea and would prefer that over “ask to get ads removed” option. I’m not concerned about the tiers of membership it would create.

1 Like

I agree with this, for what it’s worth.

Me too.