About Moderation (old original thread)

Attacking someone beyond the substance of their posting.

1 Like

Bro you are a super voluminous poster and you are always willing to go toe to toe with folks. No issue with any of that, and I say this with peace and love, but you should try to take this stuff less seriously. Iā€™ve thought on a few occasions that you tended to get into things a bit too deeply/passionately and even if you donā€™t post here, that thing within you that leads you toward those exchanges will just shift elsewhere.

Again, peace and love I appreciate your contributions and would suggest hanging around, but youā€™ll probably only have a healthy time here (or any online forum) if you can work on letting things slide a bit more. Best of luck!

6 Likes

Without wading into the drama, I think it would be extremely unfortunate to remove all traces of a prolific posterā€™s account.

This action would sacrifice the historical value of the forum archives by leaving many threads with significant gaps and thousands of orphaned out-of-context replies. Not to mention the value of the lost posts themselves.

Letā€™s not do this if it can be helped.

2 Likes

Also it would deny future historians the opportunity to comb over cuseā€™s old posts.

13 Likes

The one time I advocated for any moderation, which was wanting to contain someone who had levied hundreds of personal attacks at numerous people, it lost by a 2-1 margin. I was a bit surprised but not stunned. Maybe people didnā€™t care, maybe people didnā€™t agree with the consequence. Maybe the majority here thinks personal attacks are fine. I didnā€™t know then and am no more enlightened now. But I did realize having feuds with people here wasnā€™t productive to me personally and moved on. In short I really donā€™t know what this community wants.

1 Like

I donā€™t want to wade too far into this, but deleting false attacks that I flagged would have been one way to go (doesnā€™t even have to be the whole post). As far as I know you werenā€™t the one who saw them and declined to act, but two or three a mod specifically declined, and a couple others got no response.

Is what it is, but with my real name attached, I feel a need to be more sensitive to stuff Iā€™d otherwise ignore. I obviously fucked up on my own in that regard, but even something that might otherwise be harmless - like accusing me of running a business to profit off people in financial ruin during a pandemic - feels pretty gross when itā€™s potentially attached to my real name. Fighting back myself just leads to monster derails and drama.

Even if my name is attached I really donā€™t care what gets said as long as beyond a certain line it gets deleted (not hidden), but I donā€™t have confidence at all in that right now.

I really donā€™t want this to be what drives it. There should definitely be rules imo, but they shouldnā€™t be because of me. They should be because the vast majority of people want them.

I can come back on a new sn and participate via PM and maybe post some too, so I donā€™t want to make this some ā€œrules happen or cuse goesā€ situation.

The genie is out of the bottle on my name and this sn, though. Iā€™m willing to try to delete posts of my own that are problematic in that regard, I think a thread I started about my business needs to be totally nuked and I donā€™t have that power, but even with that Iā€™d still need the user name changed to delink this account from my real identity and Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s possible.

Man even I donā€™t think that highly of my posting, and Iā€™ve been known to pat myself on the back ever so slightly. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Iā€™d be fine with this, but even more general would be better. Be kind or at least respectful. Anything in between that and allowing most or all attacks is bad imo. Drawing the lines is impossible.

I dunno, some kind of cite or delete for any attack thatā€™s fact-based seems like it would work, the current flag and hide system for run of the mill profanity/aggression, and more deletion rather than hiding of profanity/aggression thatā€™s egregious.

Iā€™ve literally said I donā€™t care what the rules are, and I donā€™t want them being made just because of me.

People are discussing it and have replied to my posts so I responded.

There are some issues apparently with nuking me so here we are.

I actually donā€™t think itā€™s that complicated. If I call your post dumb that is not a personal attack. If I call you dumb that is.

One thing I like about this place is it is very much an iron sharpens iron kind of a place. Poor posts get rightfully shredded. That should be allowed. Itā€™s the ad hominem attacks that shouldnā€™t be. There is really no reason to go personal on someone in a political argument.

3 Likes

Cite or delete seems possible, but not easy. Take the accusation that you are a fraud. Thatā€™s absurd imo, but it comes down to a judgement of what youā€™ve said vs what youā€™ve done. Again, absurd, but itā€™s a judgment, not an obvious fact or lie. Again, absurd. The same could be done about anyone. I present myself as very knowledgeable about solar, but if someone said I was a fraud, itā€™s not obvious what that would mean.

I think we need a good widely participated in community vote before we do anything like radically step up post deletions.

1 Like

Iā€™m literally asking to be nuked and keep in touch with a few people via PM only on a ghost account, what more do you want? If I could nuke my own account it would be done already.

Start a new thread with a poll and let the community decide if we allow nuked accounts. Easy!

The only point Iā€™m going to make in all of this is that it is extraordinarily difficult to completely delete an account with a lot of posts, and the more posts it has the harder it is. This is an unreasonable admin request imo and one I will not do.

Your account can be anonymized if you wish once you go through the process oreo linked above.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s the stupidest thing Iā€™ve ever heard in my life. SMH.

(Not really, but I do disagree.)

Yeahā€¦ See you guys think you can never make a real moderation decision. Thatā€™s not how things work. You guys opted to not take sides here and that has consequences because it is in fact a choice. So we lose cuse and keep three posters I have on ignore because theyā€™re toxic and havenā€™t contributed anywhere near enough to justify reading their posts. Good fucking job you must be a mensa member.

Not a personal attack

Disagree.

Why havenā€™t you been a mod?