About Moderation (old original thread)

Flagged. Please move to “old forum drama” thread. Trolly is one of the protected class here, Mr Keeed.

2 Likes

I’d say my reply was more flippant than snarky, but perhaps that is splitting hairs. All I’m trying to point out is that you took a position that people shouldn’t make X type of post. You could be posting that as merely wishful thinking, but I actually interpret it as advocating for some type of standards about posting, whether through moderation or community norms. And so I think the first position is inconsistent with absolutely no posting standards.

ETA: and I will grant that “no posting standards” is an exaggeration of your likely position.

What topics have you been unable to discuss?

No, I said that people shouldn’t try to control other people’s posting. Which is a posting standard, one that you’d expect in a message board that encourages wide-ranging discussion.

Edit: I am deleting this post. It is not because I am trying to take a shot at Jbro in a hit and run.

1 Like

I didn’t claim that I was unable to discuss any particular topic, I just said that you and people like you sought to narrow the acceptable discourse through various tactics. Accusations of trolling, encouragements to ignore, proclaiming a thread ruined by a certain discussion, stuff like that. You were asking how you might act to lower the temperature, and stopping those tactics and adopting a more tolerant posture might help.

1 Like

I mean, did you even see what hte post was before I deleted it? If not, then how was it an attempt to do a hit and run? It was a juvenile post responding to your juvenile post that I thought better of. One of the two of us is able to have some introspection and self-control I guess.

Edit: Lol, well played sir.

1 Like

Arguing for no moderation is arguing for a bad forum. It’s not something we should waste any time or effort on

1 Like

Who’s arguing for no moderation?

Jalfrezi, a few hours ago.

1 Like

These should be considered acceptable discourse.

Then I think your rhetoric about speech being policed was a bit overblown. As far as I can tell, people are free to express unorthodox ideas as long as they’re not bickering or patently trolling.

Also, man, if I think someone is arguing in bad faith, or if a thread is being garbaged up, I should be allowed to say so.

Doing so rather than ignoring it raises the temperature. You’re interested in lowering it, right?

I hardly think making trolls immune from criticism is a going to improve the forum experience. I also don’t think you’ve come close to showing how speech is being policed here in the way that you described earlier.

Who are the trolls?

But that proves my point. There are people and viewpoints here you want to shout down, demean, silence. This is incredibly unfriendly behavior which you habitually engage in.

1 Like

You can check the mod actions thread if you need examples of trolls, but I’m not sure why that’s relevant right now.

Trolls exist. Internet history suggests that it’s impossible to write rules that easily keep out trolls without stifling other, wanted debate.

This forum probably prefers that trolls be dealt with by empowering mods to use their own judgment to determine who is a troll. Individual posters want the ability to judge who is morally wrong and to act accordingly.

Well, from your years-long treatment of me I can only assume that you think I’m a troll and should be banned, silenced, whatever. Probably the same with some subset of my friends marty, jalfrezi, churchill, sabo, Victor. Doesn’t really matter the exact composition here. We are Undesirables who ought not to be posting here, and you’re here to make sure they’re called names, shouted down, ignored, ostracized. We need you on that wall. Great.

Except my other friend microbet doesn’t think I’m a troll who needs to be silenced or that the others are, either. My friend Johnny Truant agrees, as does my friend cassette, my friend Mystery Conman, my friend jbro, my friend tabbaker, my friend Rex. None of these guys think I’m a troll or a bad person or someone who needs to be called names and shouted down. So maybe they get upset when that happens even if it isn’t happening to them. So how to lower the temperature with the second group? Maybe stop being an asshole to their other friends!

6 Likes

You misunderstand. I don’t need any mods on a wall. The issue is if me and my friends are going to be banned, have posts moved, and have avatars deleted by mods, then other users should be modded in the same way for the same transgressions. I’m happy for mods to step out of the way and let both sides let it rip. It seems it’s you and your friends that clamor to have threads like the bickering thread closed. I think perhaps you even argued for it to be closed.

1 Like

[quote=“SenorKeeed, post:6599, topic:3439”]
Well, from your years-long treatment of me I can only assume that you think I’m a troll and should be banned, silenced, whatever. [/quote]

I mostly have you on ignore. Don’t think I’ve called for you to be banned or silenced or really “policed” your speech in any meaningful way here on UP. Lots and lots of people have been calling you a troll for years because of your aggressively terrible style of posing and it doesn’t seem to have impeded your ability to express unorthodox ideas in the slightest. We’ve moved the goalposts here from “My speech is being silenced by thought police!” to “I don’t like criticism!”

What, the guys who have explicitly caught bans for trolling? Yeah, I don’t think I’m out of line here calling them trolls.