About Moderation (old original thread)

With that said if “luckiest man alive” is permabanned for sending abusive pm’s on 2+2 THEN HOW THE FUCK IS SKLANSKY NOT BANNED.

Sklansky doesn’t post here. Who cares. The account banned today was an active user of UP.

Didn’t we already ban Sklansky from UP or am I thinking of Mason? I feel like we had a vote but maybe i misremember.

If people are sending abusive PM’s, especially that abusive, it should probably be an IP ban and not just a permaban of that account. There is plenty of reason to suspect that they might come back on another account and do the same, although I guess there’s nothing we can do to stop them from doing it on 2p2.

Some who requested permaban but didnot request to have posts deleted is a user in good standing and should be able to come back any time. Abusive pms might void that good standing. Then it’s basically a question if those pms are worth a permaban.

Seems it would be important to know the content of these abusive pms.

Posted upthread:

He’s been permabanned, but we all know there’s a decent chance he’s still reading this. To attack his mental health is wrong. I’m not saying you need to be nice to him, given what he said to you (which I called for an IP perma for), but attacking his mental health is wrong.

Self-banned posters should be allowed to come back under a new screen name and mods should do nothing about it.

Behavior on 2+2 shouldn’t matter unless it was derived from activity here, such as an attempt to get around a UP ban.

didn’t jmakin basically self ban to avoid the rfc process here?

I actually think his abuse of admin privileges is grounds for the perma.

6 Likes

So the standard that you think we should have as a community is that it’s ok to attack someone’s mental health if you don’t actually think they have mental health problems?

1 Like

Not directly related to the last 1000 posts but also maybe a little - can we pretty please stop with the flag->hide posts? Its so incredibly dumb it hurts my head.

Not only does it accomplish absolutely nothing, it also became a “weapon” in this war. Either the post is hidden (great success) or the post isn’t hidden and we successfully proved some hypocrisy (greater success).

Just remove this mechanism already. Flagging post should be to alert mods so they can decide on action. Hiding post shouldn’t be one of those actions.

2 Likes

There was a former mod here who similarly abused his mod privileges to divulge personal information about a poster and mock that poster, and that mod not only wasn’t banned, he wasn’t even demodded, so I don’t think that’s a rule we follow here. Telling a poster to slit his wrists though seems appropriate for a ban. Just like telling someone to kill themselves who then goes on to kill themselves. We are not consistent here though since many of the same people on the forefront of asking for the jmakin ban were aghast at the Sklansky ban and voted against it.

ARRRRRRREFFFFFFFFFFFFCEEEEEEEEEEE

Have fun

Didnt we solve these issues like 5 times already?

Can anyone remember? Are they even logged anywhere so people won’t spend hundreds of posts arguing about it?

I agree with you. Out of curiosity, how did you vote on the Sklansky ban poll?

1 Like

I’m saying he’s permabanned, and I suggested an IP permaban today, so this isn’t some sort of defensive retort. He’s gone and you’re still attacking his mental health, that’s not cool. If you want to debate what’s ok in response to someone attacking mental health, I mean, so far since I’ve been back I’ve seen the mods handle it within minutes in all cases except yours up thread here today directed at jmakin, which perhaps nobody reported.

So I think reporting the post is probably good enough to handle it, and if not, go from there.

Ah, yes, you voted not to ban him. I checked. So you want to ban someone for sending threatening pm’s telling another poster to kill themselves (off forum), but you were against banning someone who sent threatening emails telling another person to kill themselves, followed by that poster actually killing themself. Much consistency.

1 Like

I see very little value in litigating who voted on what months ago. This is the place for mod issues, not bickering over old drama.

1 Like