About Moderation (old original thread)

I agree with you. Out of curiosity, how did you vote on the Sklansky ban poll?

1 Like

I’m saying he’s permabanned, and I suggested an IP permaban today, so this isn’t some sort of defensive retort. He’s gone and you’re still attacking his mental health, that’s not cool. If you want to debate what’s ok in response to someone attacking mental health, I mean, so far since I’ve been back I’ve seen the mods handle it within minutes in all cases except yours up thread here today directed at jmakin, which perhaps nobody reported.

So I think reporting the post is probably good enough to handle it, and if not, go from there.

Ah, yes, you voted not to ban him. I checked. So you want to ban someone for sending threatening pm’s telling another poster to kill themselves (off forum), but you were against banning someone who sent threatening emails telling another person to kill themselves, followed by that poster actually killing themself. Much consistency.

1 Like

I see very little value in litigating who voted on what months ago. This is the place for mod issues, not bickering over old drama.

1 Like

I think the intellectual honesty of some of the posters pushing for a moderation rule is imporant. The fact that there is a decent cohort of posters who right now are gung ho on a rule banning posters who send threatening pm’s (which I support), who were also against the exact same activity several months ago really calls into question those posters motivations. This isn’t directed at Victoar in particular by the way.

Yes they’re logged.

1 Like

Fair enough. So it’s not you being intellectually inconsistent and dishonest.

Maybe there should be some sort of statute of limitations on holding previous behavior against people.

I think the main difference between jmakin and Sklansky is Sklansky’s horrendous shit wasn’t directed at an active poster here. There was also less of a push for banning Sklansky because he’s not very active on UP, whereas jmakin has (at least) 3 accounts to date here.

Out of curiosity have his new accounts been used here to send threatening pms, or start drama? I had no idea until earlier today that he was posting, I can’t be the only one.

that really has nothing to do with why I was asking.

if jmakin was self banned to avoid the rfc process he’s not really a member in good standing.

I don’t care about your vendetta against anyone else.

3 Likes

I don’t believe anyone started an RFC, and I don’t see how him self-banning would have “avoided the RFC process,” and I dont’ really care that you don’t care about intellectual consistency. You could start an RFC right now if you wanted to just like I could start an RFC about the moderator who did the same thing. Jmakin should not be permabanned for “abusing his admin powers.” The correct response was to de-admin him. Banning him for threatening pm’s is another matter entirely.

I’m not gonna lie, I didn’t read that. you win.

1 Like

Not that I know of, he had one that he mostly used to post about gaming that was banned last summer and he only made a few posts with the one that was banned today. The only reason the one banned today was investigated in the first place was because of voting in the last mod poll because it was questioned as a suspicious account.

Did I miss the RFC where it was decided it’s bannable to criticize the rich? I posted that camel bible quote in the French Laundry thread and was banned for some reason.

eta: a few posts below look weird because Wookie and Jman had a few posts flagged and deleted.

1 Like

Very mature discourse this morning.

1 Like

How long were you banned for, 4 hours? Your posting doesn’t seem to have been interrupted.

Yeah it wasn’t long. I’m not angry, just confused. There’s nothing in the log. Maybe it was a misclick?

So when did you re-convert to Christianity?

You’re changing the topic. We can discuss my religious beliefs in the Atheism thread if that interests you.