About Moderation (old original thread)

Was this a reference to someone’s historic support of Zimmerman (George, not Robert)?

Knock it off.

1 Like

Posts generally get hidden when they reach a flag threshold. I’m not certain yet to see how posts get hidden by other mods, but I’d assume this is more democracy at work than it is a conspiracy.

Posts are usually hidden by mods “agreeing” with a flag notification that comes to your inbox. The threshold for a community flag hide is higher than most inappropriate posts tend to generate.

1 Like

Gotcha. I just haven’t hidden many personally so I figured more were reaching the threshold. Apologies to Cassette.

It also occurs to me, since I’m pretty sure I just saw it happen, that moderators can resolve flags on their own posts. I think we should recuse from that.

I won’t spend time on an RFC, but I’ll guarantee here that I’ll never resolve a flag on any post made by me. If you flag me, another mod will handle it.

8 Likes

If anyone wants to criticise CN for his historical views then go for it. But dont do it like that… out of the blue… just after a mod says to dial back the personal attacks… in the about moderation thread.

I don’t feel the need to hide anything from the community so I’m just going to say this out in front. This is the “about moderation” thread, after all.

This is a user who has previously expressed concerns to you about the physical safety of themselves and their loved ones. Whether or not you give credence to their concern, you have subsequently gone out of your way to amplify it on repeated occasions. You have now used your moderator powers to exhume a deleted post in order to further the accusation that the post was originally deleted for - and then inappropriately resolved a flag on your own post.

If any of our users previously had terrible views re: Zimmerman (I wasn’t around for this conversation), then let’s push them to be better in the future. But don’t use the powers entrusted to you by this community in order to make members of this community feel less safe.

5 Likes

Would it be easy for a mod to check if another mod is resolving flags on their own posts?

It’s trivially easy to check and Nononocantsleep was correct.

I’ll echo their pledge to leave any potential flagged posts of mine for another mod to resolve.

3 Likes

So this could get weird… another unresolved constitutional question in our fledgling republic… what happens when mods disgaree and start undoing each others decisions?

Either way. Ive removed the screen shot in the post to maintain the original deletion.

Yo @PocketChads, should CN be permanently banned? Because if people have a license to badger him from stuff a decade or more ago when it’s not even germane to the conversation at hand, he might as well be. If someone is an anathema to this community, they should just be banned rather than giving people license to just harass him or her until the inevitable ragequit. How about we actually have a referendum on that rather than giving license to people to drive him off on their own?

This is a political discussion forum. Its reasonable to discuss peoples previously expressed political views.

Its not reasonable to dig it up out of the blue in a non political discussion just for the sake of a personal attack. Especially when hes just been asked to dial it back.

We have to have a good balance between free discussion and not being complete fucking assholes to each other.

Ok, back onto the subject of moderation.

How many flags against you have you abused your mod power to hide, cancel, resolve or similar?

I totally agree with you. It seems pretty clear Chads does not, or maybe he disagrees with this when the subject of the attack is someone he doesn’t like. If people have a mod-sanctioned license to fire SHATS at people they don’t like, it would seem that the target will inevitably quit the forum or start trolling it until he’s banned. So, granting a license like this seems to just be a way to get someone off the forum you don’t like without being accountable to the community for it.

More than you can possibly imagine. muahahahahhahhahahahahahahhaa

That’s very mature and mod-like of you.

How many days left are there for us to tolerate your bullshit?

It’s all your baseless accusation deserves.

Instead of a direct suggestion that Wookie has been abusing his mod powers, why not just ask for mods to do a general check of whether any mods have been dealing with their own flagged posts? Given the tone of this thread, maybe one has already checked.