About Moderation (old original thread)

Maybe we should do more to encourage good posting?

Like. You can get out of a ban if you post a high content OP thread starter…

Seems like a way to earn a free shot at someone you don’t like every time you think of a topic to start.

If a post gets ten likes or more, you get to call the poster of your choice a Nazi.

3 Likes

I’ve thought about the idea of a tl;dr subforum where the OP has to be a certain length.

One in the bank!

Following the recent vote, I created a pinned post with current moderators and their terms here:

If anyone thinks that thread is inconsistent with the vote or the thread could be improved, let me know in this thread - I’m keeping that one locked.

4 Likes

If it’s the post I’m thinking of, I think I was one of the people who flagged it, and if you all can’t tell by now I’m not part of any conspiracy or cadre here. I thought it was, as you (Chad) described, an obvious attempt to respond to a sincere post with “fuck you” without saying the exact words “fuck you,” and I thought we should discourage that sort of thing.

1 Like

@anon10387340 asked this question, which I thought was reasonable:

I thought the answer was no, but I wanted to make sure. So I’m going to use my not-really-an-admin powers to do the following:

1. Create a new user from this PC.
  2. Log in to the admin account to see if there’s any indication of a new user report.
  3. Temporarily ban the @spidercrab account. Probably well deserved.
  4. Create a second new user from this PC.
  5. Log in to the admin account to see if there’s a report that a banned user registered a duplicate account.
  6. Probably unban @spidercrab.

I think what happens is that I’ll see an automated notice for the second new user, but not the first.

I was assuming a mod noticed a new account and just decided to IP check, and was wondering if that is standard practice.

Just asking questions…

I know it’s hard for you to handle anybody questioning authority in the slightest, but trust me, it’s going to be alright.

2 Likes

Ok, my experiment is over. Unless I did something wrong, I didn’t see an automated alert after either the first new user (spider2, prior to my main account being suspended) or after the second new user (spider3, when my main account was suspended).

When I manually looked up the IP address of new user spider3, I found the following unsurprising result:

The thing is, I’m absolutely convinced that at one point when I first got the backup admin account and was logged into it, there was an orange notification that indicated a new user had registered with a duplicate IP. (That constant notification was the reason why I didn’t want my main account to be an admin.)

So my guess is that a moderator manually looked up the IP address of the new account. I can’t imagine that this would be a common practice. This turned out to be less conclusive than I expected, and I should probably just delete all these posts.

The check wasn’t automatic, I noticed a “welcome so and so to the community!” banner above a post referencing something from last April and checked the IP because there was a 0.000001% chance that it was a lurker who finally decided to register.

There was an IP match so I banned the new account, which as far as I know is the standard procedure in this case.

3 Likes

I think it should be.

Should IP checks be logged?

I don’t see why.

You think every new account should automatically be IP checked?

When a mod notices someone posting for the first time I think it’s a good idea. If the posts seem innocuous I don’t mind if they skip it until that changes.

I think it would be reasonable for mods to IP check any account that makes a post that might have furthering drama as a goal. Should they snap-ban those accounts? Only if they are circumventing a ban? Should they out such users?

Just a continued lol at the pearl-clutching over a mod ip-checking someone who was obviously posting to circumvent a ban and stir up shit.

1 Like