About Moderation (old original thread)

Geez man.

Jman is the guy in NFL fights that instigates just enough not to get a penalty but enough to prod the other guy into retaliating and getting the 15 yard penalty. I feel at this point, we need to re-implement the feud rule and say anytime he rehashing a fight with the “crew” it should be a temp.

He’s fine when he’s not engaging them, but he knows exactly how to push their buttons, and clearly enjoys doing it.

3 Likes

[quote=“j8i3h289dn3x7, post:90, topic:4000, full:true”]

Posted by me in the thread and deleted by Wookie (the post for which I was banned):

Well, we wouldn't want to get down to 3 females, that would send jman off a cliff.

My own comments regarding this: clearly I’m taking shots at jman. I have tried to be polite to skydiver, and that has come across as condescending, I guess. Maybe my next ban should be for clumsy prose. Regardless, there is literally nothing misogynistic about this exchange. If you want to ban me for taking pot shots at your bro, just come out and say it. Banning me under all these other pretences makes you seem a bit disingenuous.

1 Like

Plenty of others on both (or should that be all) sides engaged in personal attacks enough to catch a temp but didn’t. Including some mods.

Defending yourself against a charge of personal attacks by admitting to making personal attacks? Bold strategy, Cotton.

I’m not defending myself against a charge of making personal attacks. I’m defending myself against a charge of misogyny. You, know, the thing you banned me for:

Sorry, right. You already got in that thread why “I’m sorry that’s how you feel.” is incredibly condescending and hurtful. It’s not an apology at all but an attack, that skydiver is being overly emotional.

So, just to clarify, saying “I’m sorry that’s how you feel” to a woman on this forum is a ban-worthy offence, right?

Not always, no. Context matters. Not being a jerk is not just a list of words and phrases you can’t use (and therefore if you’re not using one on the list, you’re not being a jerk).

Ok. Well, I guess clumsy prose is going to be the next thing I get banned for, because I was being genuine.

So mods are permanent positions then? Unless we run a poll to have so and so removed, then the gig is for life or until the benevolent retires?

This is the source of many of the forum’s problems.

4 Likes

But it’s perfectly fine for Skydiver to come in and shit all over a thread and threaten to ban users for doing something that the community already voted was ok and then coming back and accusing everybody else of actually being the baby? OK.

5 Likes

You can take that up with her. I’m tired of this and should probably just peace out of here for the weekend.

This isn’t a bad site wide rule in my opinion outside of some circumstances like trying to clarify a person’s viewpoint where it’s unclear what their position is. That said, you should understand that the people you hope to defend with this rule are as likely to violate it as anyone in my opinion.

Or maybe you just shouldn’t be a mod? I’ll be honest, I really like you as a poster. But you’re a fucking terrible mod.

I am not hoping to defend anyone with this rule. I just want the constant fighting to stop.

2 Likes

This is my opinion too. If one goes rolling through every thread that someone they don’t like participates in flinging the same insults then every thread gets ruined.

2 Likes

I think the gig is pretty much for life even if a poll is taken because most people don’t care and will vote for the mods to keep their position, especially if the poll is public.

1 Like

I don’t think really rotating mods is likely, but I think it’s possible. I think it could come about if the people who want it were lobbying for it for the right reasons: because they wanted mod rotation on principle and not for the wrong reason: because they are mad at some particular mods.

If mods rotate, there will be mods you like even less than the current mods. There will be more law and order mods, there will be more do-nothing mods (mostly this) and there will be capricious mods. If you’re tying to get better mods, rotating isn’t the answer. And if you’re tying to help bring this change about, it’s not easy and requires convincing people and getting their goodwill, not in making it a war.

3 Likes

I didn’t miss it, and I did learn for from it. It’s not ban-worthy.

4 Likes