2024 NFL Gameday Thread

And what constitutes the ground? One blade of grass/fake grass?

Does anyone really make contact with the ground, or do you just make contact with a smushed blanket of grass between you and the ground?

Also what if he lands on his heel, pivots, then his toe comes down out of bounds?

if ground = dirt, then I’m pretty sure that some part of the bottom of the shoe touches that at some point of every footstep.

Here’s another: guy catches a football that touches the top of a blade of grass but not the ground. Complete or incomplete? I’d say incomplete, but I guess I can see the other side.

But maybe not in this case. I think touching any grass = ground.

I don’t want to look it up, but I think there is a specific rule (or at least an unwritten convention) which says this is out of bounds.

There’s the rule that if you come down on your toes in bounds and then the heels touch later out of bounds it is incomplete. However, a drag is fine. I’m not sure about pivoting and where that falls on the step to drag spectrum.

edit: As per the below that would be a good catch.

This is from the NFL rulebook (typographical issue and all, I’m just copy/pasting):

If any part of the foot hits out of bounds during the normal continuous motion of taking a step (heel-toe or toe-heel) then the foot is out of A player is inbounds if he drags his foot, or if there is a delay between the heel-toe or toe-heel touching the ground.

1 Like

This is probably the closest one. I was sure they were going to over-turn this one but it held. His left foot clearly “lands” OOB, but the ruling was he toe dragged it first, by like a couple blades of grass, and that was enough.

https://www.detroitlions.com/video/highlight-golladay-delivers-clutch-toe-tapping-td

Why aren’t all receivers wearing white shoes?

He’s been on a podcast doing it live

https://twitter.com/pablofindsout/status/1756041801507524863

He’s just got a great memory for art.

1 Like

Yeah what if instead of this cleat with the weight on the ball of the foot,

he was instead wearing this cleat with the weight on the heel of the foot?

It’s possible the second one could be toe up above the line, and if the only shot you have is that awful low-resolution digital zoom from the distant camera, there’s really no way to tell what’s actually going on there. I wonder if the NFL actually realizes that (haha) and knows certain calls can’t be made on review because of technical limitations of the system, similar to how the “bad” Euro football systems are limited in accuracy by frame rate (and camera angle).

However, the theoretical question of toenail OOB seems kind of irrelevant when starting with this radical level of precision:

Screenshot from 2024-09-06 13-17-01

2 Likes

I heard this “heel-weighted” discussion on sports radio this morning. I’m not a physicist, but I don’t think I buy it. Yes, if a person is standing still, it’s certainly possible the toe could be hovering over the line. But for someone who jumps, lands moving forward, and then is tackled forward to the ground, I have to imagine his weight comes over his toes such that he does in fact touch grass on the endline.

1 Like

What if that white line was 1/2 inch too thick?

Bastard Chefs painting crew cheating again

2 Likes

This was great - thanks

The play would have to be different in order to keep the weight on the heel without performing plantar flexion with the toe. It’s certainly happened before though. It’s a thing you see in NBA more often because the lines are more clearly defined and they aren’t getting tackled.

Here’s one with plantar flexion that became a Twitter controversy. Even though this one is toe down, you can see the resolution and artifact problem I’m talking about on the CSI enhance.

https://x.com/AlexHoops_/status/1741305054294909047?t=O9qhukcSI4YsabxTvYy78A

nm…already discussed and I was wrong anyways. Tough game for a Steelers fan. Don’t know who to root against.

Should has nothing to do with it. They have a rule (posted up thread ) which specifically states player is OOB if it is all one continuous step, even if cleat lands in bounds first

1 Like

What, last night? It was your division rival playing against not your division rival. The rooting interest is gift-wrapped.

History. No team has won three Super Bowls in a row.