2024 NFL Gameday Thread

Ah, but does it feel good to LolRodgers again

Good thing the Niners paid Mccaffrey all the money!

gtfo that’s not a catch. idk how any of you bet on this bullchit

Rodgers missed that one

That’s a shame

maybe he should get vaxxed

lol @ the Jets just giving up.

https://x.com/NFL_Scorigami/status/1833342170679345545

https://x.com/jon_bois/status/1833343154700902513

1 Like

Oh hell yeah

Tetris cannon?

T Piece at (11,31) (11,32) and (11,33) and (12,32) looks like its shooting bullets downward on the 32 column

4 Likes

So explain this to me

There is a challenge system

The jets get a first down. No challenge flag throw

Skynet ref calls down and says “no catch out of bounds”

Yet the play before the Jets player was pretty close to a first down. No skynet ref

Seems like an unfair edge to randomly call down if the coach doesn’t challenge

My favorite is in baseball. Umps can initiate their own review starting in the 8th inning and managers who don’t have challenges left can just ask the ump to do an ump review. No challenges? No problem! Just wait until he 8th inning and ask nicely!

1 Like

I wasn’t paying close enough attention to see this sequence, but the additional boost of them just calling in situations where the call was obviously wrong after viewing replays for all of 10 seconds seems like a good thing and probably just wouldn’t apply to very many close spots. I’m guessing there would also be a buzzing down to fix a spot if it was blatantly and conclusively wrong on first replay look, but that’s not a very common situation given how often it’s difficult to see exactly where the ball was, etc., at a quick glance.

I guess that kind of makes sense. The big complaint with instant replay (and why the NFL went away from it in the early 90s) was that it just slows the game down. So the challenge system is designed to prevent that. Same with all reviews coming from above in the last 2 minutes. But then if the sky ref can initiate a review anytime on his own, what’s the threshold. Razor thin close calls that often require syncing up multiple cameras at different angles to see require challenges? Obvious whoopsies that can be fixed in 4 seconds get sky ref’d? That seems somewhat reasonable I guess.

It reminds me a bit of this play. Lions opt not to challenge a dropped pass, citing not wanting to burn a challenge on a play that only picked up a few yards. The drive results in a consequential TD. A booth review would have taken mere seconds.

The Seahawks were going to get called for a phantom roughing the passer on Sunday and the sky ref intervened to tell the officials to pick it up. That one surprised me. The announcers said it was a rule change, but I didn’t know how far it went. Are sky refs going to prevent phantom PI calls too? I would kind of expect so if bogus roughing calls are on the table.

1 Like

They will call and fix penalties for the chiefs and cowboys and 49ers

Expedited review did favor the cowboys on Sunday. I just can’t remember the play it happened on.

It seems that they’ll be overturning penalties that can be overturned based on clear-and-obvious evidence that an objective necessity for the penalty must have occurred (like, in this case, “Did the defender actually hit the QB in the head or neck area?”) and won’t be calling penalties that went uncalled, even if there is CAO evidence of the violation. That’s probably for the best. Nobody wants the appearance of Rog demanding a DPI call when there was no flag thrown.

Let’s see how often the chargers get calls against Mahomes

Tua just can’t seem to improve