2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

Yeah, my ancestry likely traces back to some Potuguese fuck raping a slave or native Taino in Puerto Rico. A pretty large portion of the islanders that arent native have a similar lineage

Alright well that explains the nice boat then, they had cars waiting for them.

In a second incident, in La Jolla about 90 minutes later, a large panga landed on the rocks at Windansea, OnScene reported, with up to 30 people seen leaving the boat. The group, including women and children, ran east to waiting vehicles on La Jolla Boulevard. The cars left the scene.

Hmmm something about her seems to give her an advantageā€¦.

IMG_0796

Part of this also related to the climate. Europeans in the Caribbean also had a crazy high death rate. Tropical diseases.

Seven Years a Slave is based on this

So at trivia tonight our team tied for 2/3. The tiebreaker question was

What year model is Quagmireā€™s Chevrolet in Family Guy?

Both teams guessed 1969 (giggity it was actually 57 though). So follow up question

What year is on the treasure map in The Goonies?

ā€¦

Both teams guessed 1669

ā€œAlright you perverts Iā€™m not doing another question that has a year in itā€

Tiebreaker 3: What is the area of Libya?

Both teams went away from 69 now and we ended up losingā€¦

Area of Libya 679,400 miĀ²ā€¦

4 Likes

bill-and

2 Likes

So America is basically innocent and actually made the lives of their slaves better, at least compared to other 12.3 million! USA#1

5 Likes

This is an important thing to understand, but itā€™s also wrong to say that slavery wasnā€™t about cotton. The cotton boom only started in the very late 18th century (I think the cotton gin was 1793), and the slave trade was banned in 1807, so there wasnā€™t a huge window of time to import slabes to work in the cotton fields. Prior to cotton, US slavery was tobacco and indigo, which was a lot less intensive and profitable than cotton became, which is why it wasnā€™t economically reasonable to ship slaves across the ocean in vast numbers to sustain it.

That said, cotton slavery was a HUGE deal. There were something like 4 million slaves in the U.S. at the start of the Civil War. If you look at actual enslaved-person years, itā€™s possible that there was close to the same amount of enslavement in cotton vs sugar, given the short life expectancy of slaves working on sugar plantations.

Itā€™s fair enough to say that the slave trade was primarily about sugar, but you canā€™t minimize the extent of cotton slavery.

5 Likes

Last year Dan Carlin dropped an excellent 5 hour podcast on the Atlantic slave trade on his always-amazing and thought provoking Hardcore History podcast.

Fantastic, ominous title too: Human Resources.

4 Likes

If I remember correctly USA #1 was the ones who came up with the law that kids born were born into slavery etc

So what did they do everywhere else?

In a lot of ancient societies you were born free. Not sure how that worked if both your parents were slaves.

I have a hard time imagining that the default in that case is that the kid is free.

In Rome, if the mother was a slave her children were slaves.

I guess children of Roman slaves were born into slavery. I thought maybe that was different.

Aztec slave children were born free.

https://medievalslavery.org/mesoamerica/source-aztec-slaves

https://x.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1750849189834022932?s=20

1 Like

What the hell happened in South Korea in 2016?