2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

Main Street American vernacular imo

And do not care about how their lifestyle’s negative externalities cause misery and death (and prevent upward mobility) even if they never hit anyone and even if we completely discount “the environment” and use of natural resources, like even if cars were completely sustainable and zero emission

lol no one takes you seriously

1 Like

The architectural style in the image is characteristic of early 20th-century American commercial architecture. This style often features elements from various architectural movements, including:

1. Beaux-Arts: This is evident in the decorative cornices and detailed moldings at the top of the buildings.
  2. Art Deco: The black building with its geometric patterns and stylized facade may reflect some influence of Art Deco, though it’s more subdued compared to classic examples of the style.
  3. Early Modernism: The minimalistic, boxy shapes of the buildings suggest a transition towards early modernist architecture, focusing on function and simplicity.

Overall, the buildings appear to represent a blend of late Victorian, Beaux-Arts, and early Modernist influences typical of American Main Street commercial districts from the early 1900s to the 1930s.

1 Like

who hurt you

2 Likes

Stroads are bad, but I can just about guarantee that anyone who posts on this forum would claw their eyes out in frustration and boredom if they had to live in one of these nowhere little towns without a car. Not because of Walmart and stroads, because they inherently suck. The cute picturesque French villages you drive through in the Loire valley are so awful they’ve driven all their inhabitants to fascism just to drown out the boredom.

1 Like

2 Likes

I had to Google stroad

That’s a no from me dawg

4 Likes

Are there any humans here that can confirm this?

This take is too hot for Chatgtp, must be Claude.

6 Likes

Not sure where this goes but here seems good. I laughed.

2 Likes

I’m teaching my almost-16 year old to drive (he’s had 6 hours of formal instruction, and I am going out with him now every day), and I can say without question I felt safer in the Waymo.

6 Likes

Yup. Driving with my kids (2 out of 3 so far) has been an absolutely terrifying experience. Also a terrifying experience: knowing that they’re out driving on their own.

2 Likes

My biggest amazement with driving now is in Texas they make you watch like two hours of no cell phone usage while driving videos.

Yet all of us who got our licenses before cell phones have none of that instruction. Shouldn’t everyone have to watch stories about people who died due to cellphones? I think it’s a pretty big deal, but everyone over a certain age just gets a pass and are told it’s illegal lol.

I’ve been fine teaching my kid to drive (one of them hasn’t learned yet - the older one), but…

Yeah. She’s a fine driver, but still, yeah.

1 Like

Trying to teach someone to drive made it very quickly obvious to me that

Driving well and safely

And

Teaching someone else to drive well and safely

Are two completely different skills with not a lot of overlap

1 Like

One of my drivers ed teachers in high school was missing a thumb. Maybe because of a car accident.

1 Like

I don’t doubt they are great. I was just amused by a story about a bunch of driverless cars circling around a parking lot honking at each other.

You weren’t subjected to gory crashes because teens were drinking, racing, or not paying attention? We have plenty of those in Driver’s Ed.

Spend some time watching dash cam videos on the internet and you’ll start driving like an old man

And buy a dash cam

3 Likes

The one time my wife and I almost got divorced is when I tried to teach her to drive–and she almost killed us trying to learn.

1 Like