2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

The Daily Mail have been scum for many decades.

1 Like

I read the article, and I hope the doctor goes down for a lot of years. I have mixed feelings about Perryā€™s personal assistant being squeezed on criminal charges, especially if he wasnā€™t getting any extra benefits for helping Perry get high.

2 Likes

Yeah thereā€™s thought experiments and thereā€™s real life.

Govt-regulated weed/shrooms/etc is usually much more potent than what you can get on the streets. Are you gonna do that with crack, meth, heroin, fentanyl? Or are you gonna try to dumb them down somehow? When Oregon went from biker crank to good meth years ago, addiction and overdoses mushroomed. More pure hard drugs is scary.

How do you stop people from stealing to get money to pay the govt for their fix? Crackheads almost never have jobs. Or are we giving them free crack?

ā€œSir, I must inform you when you buy this crack that addiction services are available.ā€

ā€œNoted, thank you, Iā€™ll take my crack now please.ā€

And then are you gonna put a bunch of people high on crack together in a safe space to do drugs? That should go well.

Show me this experiment in govt-regulated crack and tell me how it turned out.

For the record, my entire worldview on legalizing hard drugs is based on extensive first-hand experience with crack and crack heads. Maybe you could somehow talk me into heroin, because you could put them in a room together while high and monitor them. But that will never work for crack or meth. Violence would erupt very quickly. Also no one wants to sit around in some shelter doing crack or meth.

1 Like

Buddy. You know I love your posting, but this is an area where you should go check out some other countries approach to legalisation and decriminalisation first and THEN post.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a difference between legalization and decriminalization. Show me the country that has legal, govt-regulated hard drugs like how I can buy weed and shrooms in some states now.

Looking at my ancestry chart and they say they traced my ancestry back to 1086

Not sure how much truth there is the further back it goes. Still interesting though. If true, my tracing along my patrilineal line, my ancestors fought in the War of the Roses (cool) and for the Confederacy (not cool).

2 Likes

Sounds like Burning Man might have finally peaked, after the terrible mudbath last year and just naturally running its course where nothing can last forever.

Iā€™m hoping it will go back to just some hardcore artists and actually be cool again.

I apologize, I didnā€™t know the whole story. Of course, you should take care not to harm your customers. Iā€™m all for holding bartenders responsible for over serving. But Iā€™m a little conflicted because thatā€™s mostly to protect other innocent people. I really donā€™t have a problem if someone wants to toss the dice and risk ODing. Itā€™s their life

I know that sounds cold, so Iā€™ll follow it up with that I believe drug addiction is a healthcare problem and should be available for all

I tend not to believe in victimless crimes. So if he was deceived in anyway, then absolutely they should be held accountable. If he wanted and took it of his own volition, then while I think itā€™s a sad story and a shame he didnā€™t get help, I canā€™t really blame anyone else

Yeah. I agree. Iā€™m conflicted too, for the same reasons.

They are probably going to go to prison for a long time because dealing drugs are illegal, which I disagree with.

But I do feel that sellers of dangerous products have some ethical (if not legal) responsibility to their customers.

Which of course, can only really be enforced via legalisation or decriminalisation

Well if it were legal he could pick it up at a pharmacy or licensed dispensary where it would at least be assured of being clean and not cut with garbage

And maybe theyā€™d only be allowed to give out a non lethal dose at a time or within 24 hours or some shit. I donā€™t have all the answers, but I know if you legalize drugs you get rid of a lot of bad actors, gang violence, etc.

1 Like

He was getting it from doctors. No one was stepping on it.

Now for all non-rich celebrities? Yeah, they might be getting garbage with who knows what.

Itā€™s like the whole thing where they did prohibition and it caused an explosion in organized crime and had little to no effect on alcohol consumption got completely memory holed and everyone was just like, ok, bring on the drug cartels for marijuana or meth or cocaine or fent, whatever it is, as long as we have crime and punishment and cops and prisons.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not arguing against decriminalization FWIW. Just the idea of govt-regulated crack dispensaries. No ones ever tried that because it would be batshit crazy.

Donā€™t care about dispensaries or not. Sales should be legal. If not, organized crime does it. A vanishingly small percentage of people are refraining from being zombies just because itā€™s illegal. Itā€™s other things that make people use drugs. And then itā€™s much harder to help people if itā€™s criminal. You can get hard drugs in prison ffs. Fighting drug sales or use with cops and guns and prisons is trying to dig out of a hole.

4 Likes

ā€œA vanishingly small percentage of people are refraining from being zombies just because itā€™s illegal.ā€

Sure, but make it more pure, easier to get, and cheaper, and watch what happens.

I donā€™t usually bother replying to this stuff because I donā€™t want to get into it. But people are doing these pure thought experiments that donā€™t have serious experience with hard drugs. Crack is bad bad shit. The govt would be actively involved in killing people.

Tony Bourdain had more experience than me with heroin and probably crack and he felt the same way. He was a pretty open-minded about a lot of things, but he was like, nahhh not with hard drugs.

Again, get back to me when some country or any entity tries crack dispensaries and then Iā€™ll revisit this. Until then Iā€™ll go back to not replying.

Thereā€™s no government dispensaries, thereā€™s just people openly selling it on the streets cheap. Only behind them is an army of organized criminals who dissolve anyone who gets in their way in a barrel of acid instead of a government dispensary or a CVS.

1 Like

Something that sparked an issue with me is that, at least in the US under the current Supreme Court doctrine, if sales are legal that means the companies selling will have a first amendment right to advertise their product in some form or fashion.

They wonā€™t have the right to dissolve their competitors in barrels of acid though.

1 Like

In any case, weā€™ll have UBI and open borders before we even consider crack dispensaries, so the argument is pretty moot for now.

If the most liberal Scandinavian countries havenā€™t even considered legalizing hard drugs, thereā€™s probably a good reason for that. Itā€™s kind of like the govt being involved in selling suicide pills.

There are plenty of people who have never tried crack because they have no idea where to get their hands on it. Youā€™d be creating a fleet of new addicts. ā€œMy daughter went down to CVS, bought a bunch of fentanyl, and now sheā€™s dead.ā€ Thatā€™s never going to fly in any country.

https://x.com/AMAZlNGNATURE/status/1824393238846787805

3 Likes