2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

At the beginning of the pandemic, the NC legislature repealed a old law that prohibited masks in public. At the time, masks were mostly associated with criminal activity. I guess that was before masks were associated with liberals.

1 Like

There is a company that runs apartment buildings for seniors around the PNW. They go by Sustainable Housing for Ageless Generations, or SHAG for short. It really just threw me off-guard when I saw the signs for the apartment building and got me thinking about whether the name SHAG is net positive or negative from a marketing perspective with this demographic.

Youā€™d want a little more info, but without following the case, the chart of who was working when each baby died, in this article led me to believe they got the killer

1 Like

When we first moved to Olympia and were looking for a place to live, we saw Shag apartments right next to the farmers market and got really excited before we found out they were senior apartments. :frowning:

2 Likes

Any law bros know if these people that got got overseas can file a suit against TSA. If TSA had done their jobs, well they would have been stopped before they even left the country.

So I text my VP and boss ā€œhave a good night. See you at Starbucks tomorrowā€

Went back to text her something 20 min later and noticed I had actually texted

ā€œhave a good night. Love you See you at Starbucks tomorrowā€ thanks to autofill

So now I can never leave my house again and get to die a shut in.

17 Likes

That chart is one of the things called into pretty serious question by the article:

Letbyā€™s defense team said that it had found at least two other incidents that seemed to meet the same criteria of suspiciousness as the twenty-four on the diagram. But they happened when Letby wasnā€™t on duty. Evans identified events that may have been left out, too. He told me that, after Letbyā€™s first arrest, he was given another batch of medical records to review, and that he had notified the police of twenty-five more cases that he thought the police should investigate. He didnā€™t know if Letby was present for them, and they didnā€™t end up being on the diagram, either.

This sort of thing I am very suspicious of, in part because if you have enough nurses working enough emergency rooms you will see weird patterns and the pattern was largely what generated suspicion in the first place, also because slightly changing your assumptions and methods can produce very large changes in results, for example:

In the trial of the Dutch nurse, Lucia de Berk, a criminologist had calculated that there was a one-in-three-hundred-and-forty-two-million chance that the deaths were coincidental. But his methodology was faulty; when statisticians looked at the data, they found that the chances were closer to one in fifty. According to Ton Derksen, a Dutch philosopher of science who wrote a book about the case, the belief that ā€œsuch a coincidence cannot be a coincidenceā€ became the driving force in the process of collecting evidence against de Berk.

You can see how this happens. The fact that she had medical notes about babies in her diary, the fact that some of the times and so forth on logs appear to be inaccurate, and the fact that she searched the names of parents on Facebook are all not particularly noteworthy in themselves, but they take on a different complexion if you start from the position that there is a high statistical likelihood she is guilty. I donā€™t think all the evidence against her is in this category, but quite a bit of it is.

Anyone can sue for whatever, but this would be laughed out of court. TSA has no duty to the individuals to detect contraband in their luggage and protect them from the consequences of their mistake. It would be like suing a cop that you sped by for not pulling you over before you crashed your car.

Not a law bro, but am paying off law school debt.

Iā€™m sure youā€™re right.

Hereā€™s the part that inspired the question:

The TSAā€™s duties (I donā€™t think) are not defined by consequences. They are defined by actions. They have a duty to find ammo in carry on luggage because allowing it on the plane is dangerous. They failed in their duty.

Again, Iā€™m sure youā€™re right. This is my non-lawbro brain spitballinā€™.

I was assuming some the Turks and Caicos folks had it in their checked bags which is legal in USA #1

the other passengers on the flight to T&C would seem to have the closest thing to a reason to file suit then. prolly not tho

The other passengers donā€™t have damages. Maybe they can gin up some severe emotional distress once they discovered someone on their plane had live ammo and now they can never fly without crippling fear ever again.

I think for checked luggage, TSA might be off the hook.

Do you know if you have to declare ammo in checked bags? Or is it just firearms?

https://x.com/dieworkwear/status/1791208814815195258

4 Likes

Iā€™m one million percent sure Iā€™m right, but Iā€™m irritated that Iā€™m having so much trouble finding more substantive proof. This seems like a question that must have been asked before on Reddit or something.

Iā€™m also one million percent sure youā€™re right.

https://www.findlaw.com/legalblogs/law-and-life/do-the-police-have-an-obligation-to-protect-you/#:~:text=The%20answer%20is%20no.,as%20a%20person%20in%20custody.

I think this applies

In the 1981 case Warren v. District of Columbia, the D.C. Court of Appeals held that police have a general ā€œpublic duty,ā€ but that ā€œno specific legal duty existsā€ unless there is a special relationship between an officer and an individual, such as a person in custody.

The U.S. Supreme Court has also ruled that police have no specific obligation to protect. In its 1989 decision in DeShaney v. Winnebago County Department of Social Services, the justices ruled that a social services department had no duty to protect a young boy from his abusive father. In 2005ā€™sCastle Rock v. Gonzales, a woman sued the police for failing to protect her from her husband after he violated a restraining order and abducted and killed their three children. Justices said the police had no such duty.

Most recently, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit upheld a lower court ruling that police could not be held liable for failing to protect students in the 2018 shooting that claimed 17 lives at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

2 Likes

Lots of gamers losing their shit because the main character of the new Assassinā€™s Creed game, set in 16th-century Japan, will be black.

Funny comment on Reddit described these people as ā€œdiet racists.ā€ Although probably a lot of original recipe racists in that group as well.

https://x.com/mikeBithell/status/1791096481207710109

2 Likes

I tried to ask my wife about it this morning, but didnā€™t make any headway.

Me: I have a question - what do you remember about duty of care and negligence?

Wife: I donā€™t know, why?

Me: Iā€™m trying to understand what duty of care the TSA owes someone. What happens when they fail to detect something that the person is taking onto a plane, and that person is later arrested for it.

Wife: Like that basketball player who was arrested for taking drugs into Russia?

Me: No, because the TSA isnā€™t responsible for detecting illegal things. Theyā€™re responsible for detecting things that are dangerous. So they never had a duty to anyone to detect Brittney Grinerā€™s drugs.

Wife: [sigh] So what are you talking about?

Me: [Describes ammunition case]

Her: Are bullets even dangerous without a gun?

Me [faking that I know anything about guns or ammunition]: Oh definitely yes

Her: And this person is suing the TSA?

Me: No, this is hypothetical.

Her: So why are you asking me? Is this some dumb internet conversation?

Me: Well, I feel like since Iā€™ve been making monthly payments for law school debt for about 20 years, Iā€™m entitled to ask occasional legal questions and have them answered.

You wouldnā€™t believe how quickly the conversation veered after that.

20 Likes