2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

There’s a guy drafted this year as a center who was a 4x undefeated state high school heavyweight wrestling champ. I think a lot of NFL guys in the interior line positions had some wrestling background. Not the same as sumo but definitely they understand how to work leverage against other large men while grappling in a small space

1 Like

They make spoons for eating grapefruit.

Eta:

1 Like

Those prices are still obscene even for the suite portions. That middle platter with 4 sliders, essentially one full quesadilla, and like 8 chicken tenders is $270. It should be maybe $50.

Must be a shortage of white women getting murdered by immigrants so the media has had to settle for white surfers in Mexico.

So, WCW then?

Wasn’t there a thing a while ago when some NFL team tried to get an Olympic sprinter to play WR/CB?

Are you referring to the late Lam Jones of the NY Jets?

No, I’m thinking of a sprinter who hadn’t played football before.

I can’t think of someone who never played football before the NFL, but Bullet Bob Hayes is the famous example of an Olympic sprinter-turned-wide receiver.

1 Like

I remember the same. In my head it was about 10 years ago. I found rumors of interest in Gatlin from 2006 and Bolt in 2016 but I think those were just rumors.

https://www.nfl.com/news/usain-bolt-received-offers-to-play-wr-in-nfl-0ap3000000708429

1 Like

Renaldo Nehemiah is who I couldn’t remember.

Browsing this:

https://www.nfl.com/photos/olympians-in-the-nfl-09000d5d82aed82d

I learned that Tommie Smith played for the Bengals.

1 Like

Prob just thinking of Tyreek Hill and have the story mixed up.

In the early 2000s it was customary for American college students to join a heya and shake it like a Polaroid picture, and anyone who didn’t join in was considered an Outkast.

5 Likes

There was also a kid from Florida whose name I’m forgetting that was a dual sport star in college, I think. Too lazy to look that one up

Renaldo Neihmaih came from a sprinter background. Not sure how much football experience he had prior to the nfl. (Also lol at me trying to spell his last name)

Ponied

Cyril Grayson didn’t play college football, he just ran track at LSU, but wasn’t an Olympian.

Brady hit him in the helmet on a deep pass. He came back the next year and caught the game winner against the Jets.

As someone who’s camped on remote Baja beaches, this is relevant to my interests. I think a good rule is don’t camp alone on a beach that close to Tijuana/Rosarito/Ensenada. There are plenty of surfer compounds in the area that are pretty safe.

By the time you get to central Baja, it’s a lot more pastoral and I haven’t heard of anything crazy happening there.

Southern Baja is pretty crowded and has narco violence but doesn’t seem to have the same kind of random campsite raids as northern Baja.

Also if thieves are trying to steal your truck tires, maybe just let them have it.

Also this is a sad fact of life down there:

At a news conference, Andrade Ramírez was questioned by one reporter who asked why a rapid search was mounted for foreigners, but when local people disappear, little is often done.

“Do you have to be a foreigner in Baja California in order for there to be an investigation if something happens to you?” asked the reporter, who did not identify herself by name. “Every investigation is different,” Andrade Ramírez replied.

These guys screwed up royally killing gringos.

Oof, one of the guys I play poker with was good friends with Carter Rhoad, was supposed to have lunch with him this week, even.

Husband and I have also driven down to Cabo and camped on the beaches. Living in SD, we’ve seen how bad it’s gotten down there over the past decade or so (our trip was in '07). Not sure I’d feel as safe doing that again.

I think you’re fine if you stay in surfer compounds. No one’s raiding crowded compounds to steal stuff and they’re not attacking people at random or anything.

I’m on expat and overlander Facebook groups that are aggregators for all this stuff, and the only things I’ve heard about are late-night campsite raids, including this one that went terribly wrong. Northern Baja has a lot of migrant farm workers imported from poorer parts of Mexico and Central America. Although it sounds like these guys were more local if they had a favorite body-dumping well.