2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

Untitled

12 Likes

The yt ads I get are insane. The one for the life-changing bras is by far the closest to normal but Iā€™m not in the market.

Louisiana

First-term state Rep. Roger Wilder, R-Denham Springs, who sponsored the child labor measure and owns Smoothie King franchises across the Deep South, said he filed the bill in part because children want to work without having to take lunch breaks. He questioned why Louisiana has the requirement while other states where he owns Smoothie King locations, such as Mississippi, donā€™t have them, and criticized people who have questioned the billā€™s purpose

ā€œThe wording is ā€˜Weā€™re here to harm children.ā€™ Give me a break," he said. "These are young adults.ā€

1 Like

3 Likes

The ā€œitā€™s not pedophilia, itā€™s ephebophiliaā€ of labor law.

8 Likes

I think learning this word was the most negative effect that 2p2 had on me.

2 Likes

Stuff like this is insane. Another I have heard is that there are more planets than grains of sand on Earth.

This is the one that drives me nuts:

Think of your last card game ā€“ euchre, poker, Go Fish, whatever it was. Would you believe every time you gave the whole deck a proper shuffle, you were holding a sequence of cards which had never before existed in all of history? Consider how many card games must have taken place across the world since the beginning of humankind. No one has or likely ever will hold the exact same arrangement of 52 cards as you did during that game.

They do specify that it needs to be a proper shuffle (they say later that it means at least 7 times if you use a standard riffle), but I still absolutely refuse to believe it.

Even if you add in if the card was heads up or heads down?

Would it make it easier for me to believe? Not really - there have been SO MANY shuffles of cards! Surely 2 of them must have been the same. I mean, itā€™s basically like walking around and seeing someone wearing the same shirt as you. Of course itā€™s an everyday occurrence, but it happens!

I read a book about people who do memory contests. They can do things like memorize the entire order of a random deck of cards in a minute. Seems pretty crazy.

Does it help if you grab a calculator and do 52! and realize that there has never been anywhere close to that number of shuffles in the history of the world?

The number is beyond massive.

1 Like

There probably havenā€™t been enough truly random shuffles to be statistically significant so it is a bit of a moot point. I do like that there are more deck combinations than there are estimated to be atoms in the earth or plank time intervals since the big bang or grains of sand required to fill the entire cosmos. Orders of magnitude (numbers) - Wikipedia to give it some perspectiveā€¦

Look, I see the math but I donā€™t believe it in my heart. I donā€™t know what to tell you. I thought this would be a safe space.

12 Likes

Hydrogen dissolves in water and it might be good for you.

1 Like

I assume weā€™ll all be getting those now that we clicked on that Sydney Sweeney article

Mostly I get amazing-gadget-developed-by-ex-big-gadget-company-engineer(s)-that-big-gadget-doesnā€™t-want-you-to-know-about-but-is-yours-for-a-short-time-through-this-special-offer or else that guy that tells you skipping carbs isnā€™t the way to lose weight so Idk why I started getting bra offers but hey at least itā€™s a change of pace.

1 Like

I get a weekly email from a (public) middle school my kids used to attend. The opener from today:

We have seen an upswing in students Door Dashing food to school during their lunch. This is not permitted and this has been communicated to the them.

I guess this is the natural evolution from Jeff Spicoli having a pizza delivered in class, but Iā€™m still pretty stunned this is an actual problem.

4 Likes

Kids do this at my sonā€™s high school. They even designated a dropoff table right inside the front door. Then they sent an email that they would not be paying any attention at all to stolen Door Dash orders, which apparently happens a lot.

1 Like

Damn I never even thought of that being a thing. Kids these days have it so easy. Back in my day, when we wanted taco bell we had to sneak out to someoneā€™s car and sneak back into the building with the bag of goods. Spoiled brats!

3 Likes