2024 LC Thread - A New Year

? I skimmed that. Sounds as boring as expected. Birds and other animals just think it’s nighttime briefly.

Microsoft if so awful at everything. Their copilot branding is the nut low. My company rolled out some version of it but I can’t find any information online. I know we don’t have the “full version” which is called 365 sometimes and pro sometimes. The version we have only lives in the browser as a side bar.

Anyone have any idea what the hell the marketing geniuses at Microsoft calls this?

I’d like to learn more about its functionality but I literally can’t search online for it. Tried non-pro, tried copilot in browser, tried free ect. It can’t be free I don’t think as it’s a business.

Such bad marketing.

1 Like

My children must learn the ways of their ancestors. We try to spend 3-4 weekends a year in our RV, with spotty campground wifi, often out of cell range. DVDs are the way.

One thing I do miss about VHS is they were much more kid friendly. Give a DVD to a 5 year old and it will be scratched all to hell covered in god knows what substances within a day. But those tapes can take one hell of a beating.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Daily fantasy sports probably evens that out, by itself.

1 Like

I made an eclipse thread:

3 Likes

Think I just felt a minor earthquake here in NYC

3 Likes

Never felt one that strong, holy shit that scared the hell out of me.

How high up are you? I’m on the 6th floor of a brick and mortar building, and it didn’t shake that much. I imagine high rises are another story

I read this and literally 2 seconds later I feel like I felt something minor here in Vermont.

Could just be my imagination though.

1 Like

3rd floor of a pre-war brick building. Definitely sustained rumbling of the floors and walls to the point where I was immediately hoping these 100-year old buildings are build to withstand these things. Kinda like the way those commercial washers seem to shake the whole rooms sometimes when they’re going nuts on spin cycle.

I was in a 7th story apartment in Philly during the East Coast earthquake maybe 13 years ago.

It just sounded like my downstairs neighbor was blowing out an amplifier for like 4-5 seconds.

CNN says 4.8 magnitude with epicenter in northern NJ

Co-worker just came in and asked me about earthquake unsolicited.

I experienced this xkcd in real life:

5 Likes

It’s kind of a thing on the LA subreddit to make the first earthquake post. I have literally posted while shaking was happening, seconds after it began, and been like the 15th person.

2 Likes

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us7000ma74/origin/detail

Friendship ended with eclipse, now earthquake is my best friend.

4 Likes

It’s like we’ve gameified a free solution to public disaster warnings.

1 Like

10:51 caller on Brian Leher show makes the first terrorist attack accusation.

2 Likes

Yep, really want to see the zip code breakdown of how much is gambled on equities.