2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

Even gas stations are putting ads on their pumps while I’m filling up my car. So fucking obnoxious.

That’s been going on for 10 years+ at Shell stations in LA. The good news is the screen will break and not be fixed at some point, or the speaker will go bad so you barely hear it.

2 Likes

Starting to think there’s something wrong with this Andrew Tate guy

https://twitter.com/StephJane0989/status/1608328378805022722?s=20&t=ruRqSM0Ar0c02J3Ou3wAtg

11 Likes

One day in early June, a swath of Charlottesville’s history all but vanished from the internet.

Thousands of stories reported by the Hook — a defunct local paper whose online archives nevertheless had continued to inform historians, residents and public officials — disappeared. Anyone trying to read old stories about the university town’s sagas, scandals and sundry crimes was greeted by the same error message: “Sorry!”

In many ways, the erasure of the alternative weekly, whose print and online journalism included matters such as nightlife listings as well as deep investigative work, isn’t unusual. Historians have long warned about the decay of digital news archives, which are increasingly falling victim to mishandling, indifference, bankruptcies and technical failures.

But some of the Hook’s founding journalists suspect the archive didn’t simply expire from natural causes. They think someone paid to kill it.

Their evidence, while circumstantial, is intriguing. There’s the mystery buyer who purchased the Hook archive from its longtime custodian a few months before it went dark. There’s the reluctance of people involved in that sale to say much about it.

Then there’s the flurry of copyright complaints apparently filed by the new owner in the days and weeks after the sale. These complaints, seeking removal of links to the archive, have targeted news sites, discussion forums and small-time blogs, most of which cited one particular story among the thousands the Hook wrote about in its heyday: a rape accusation involving students at the University of Virginia nearly 19 years ago.

Would you go on to believe that the accused rapist would become an investment banker who had deep enough pockets to buy a newspaper just to shut down the archived reporting of his purported rape?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2022/12/14/hook-charlottesville-vanished-archive/

I’m hoping the Streisand effect of getting called out in WaPo is worse than any benefit he got from killing the paper.

1 Like

Some months ago my 14 year old, who most of the time has tapioca in his head, was like “Have you heard of this jackass Andrew Tate?” At least at the time, other kids at school who liked Tate were being mocked and shunned.

5 Likes

It’s already begun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_N._Ofori#Rape_allegations

yeah but this would ALSO have ads IN THE APP

if this guy is right and ad-funded uber is viable, then really what wouldn’t be viable?

ad-funded grocery stores, free food!

ad-funded doctors, the medical crisis is solved!

ad-funded housing, no more shortages, we can all have penthouses in manhattan!

ad-funded space tourism! the sky’s the limit!

4 Likes

In the process of looking into this dude, it appears he has the same name as some MLS player. That’s probably going to help him a bit.

This popped up in my apple news feed. I know there’s always been junk science used to lock people up (I remember a great article a few years back in the New Yorker related to dubious science used in arson investigations).

But I’ve literally never heard of using “science” to determine that 911 callers were faking:

Such linguistic detection is possible, he claims, if you know how to analyze callers’ speech patterns — their tone of voice, their pauses, their word choice, even their grammar. Stripped of its context, a misplaced word as innocuous as “hi” or “please” or “somebody” can reveal a murderer on the phone.

Completely mindblown that people have been convicted of murder based on this nonsense. Fucking science, how does it work?

It’s all a grift, obviously, but JFC it’s one thing to grift Trumpers with idiotic NFTs but this is life and death!

People who call 911 don’t know it, but detectives and prosecutors are listening in, ready to assign guilt based on the words they hear. For the past decade, Harpster has traveled the country quietly sowing his methods into the justice system case by case, city by city, charging up to $3,500 for his eight-hour class, which is typically paid for with tax dollars. Hundreds in law enforcement have bought into the obscure program and I had a rare opportunity to track, in real time, how the chief architect was selling it.

1 Like

your pony was convicted of slowness (this was already posted in the cops thread)

Okay sir before we perform live-saving emergency surgery on you, you must watch 12 hours of ads to fully pay for it.

1 Like

When was this written? I can’t find a date on it.

Tate’s finding out tour continues

https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1608542176480481280?t=6Z0gFArsav1WhkQR_mYNmA&s=19

3 Likes

Not even his frist time being raided

Either the lower right or left button will mute the ads on most pumps.

I’ve never tried those but 2nd down on the right has always worked for me. Now I’m questioning if it’s any button.

It might be second down in the right. I couldn’t remember and guessed it was the bottom buttons.

It’s not any button, but I don’t think it’s always the same button. Every time I think I know which button I’m supposed to press it doesn’t work, so I end up mashing buttons until it mutes.