2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

13 Likes

Her husband is gaslighting her. Time for a divorce

Think of it this way: removals get passed down, but additions do not. For proof, you add clothes to your body and you remove them, but your baby is born naked, because your removals get passed down

Babies are not born with all the clothes their parents have ever worn. That would be silly, you fuckin idiots

I know, I know, some of you are thinking “but the parents are naked when the baby is conceived”

No, they’re OFTEN naked, but not always, dumdum

That can’t be real.

2 Likes

Mailman has a small nose.

1 Like

On top of that. The air in your lungs would compress in a millisecond, so you probably have every part of your chest crushed and torn instantly.

Thinking about it, there’s probably so much kinetic energy you just get shaken and smashed to pieces instantly.

1 Like

We don’t need to ask anyone when we saw people falling/jumping on 9/11 and hitting the ground.

I don’t think it’s that crazy - Lamarckian inheritance was a fairly well-known scientific theory. She’s just living 200 years in the past.

4 Likes

Is he jus a grammar nit? What is wrong with “comprised of”

I remember seeing video of someone falling from one of the towers. It was sickening enough. I didn’t see the aftermath and wouldn’t want to.

Details I read today: The wife/mom and her daughter were on the support ship. Kid loved Rubik’s Cubes and wanted to solve it at Titanic. The guy who got fired said their warning system might only give milliseconds of warning. CEO just couldn’t accept the design was fundamentally bad. He’s now Wikipedia list of people killed by their own invention. List includes Marie Curie and a guy who jumped off Eiffel tower to test weird parachute so Rush fits somewhere in the middle I guess.

I once tried to correct a guy who was using comprises correctly. That was the beginning of the end of my grammar nit career. That guy is fanatical about it so nobody wants to cross the guy.

I saw that video yesterday. Creeped me out.

Lamarkian inheritance was always more about like habits and conditioning. Like if you are a marathoner or bodybuilder that gets passed down. They never thought chopping off your hand is going to cause problems for your progeny’s hand.

And hell, with epigenetics, is Lamarkaianism de-debunked? I don’t know, maybe.

I think that’s true of most people, but I’m not sure it’s universally true - Weismann’s mouse tail test was apparently viewed (by some) as a rebuke of Lamarckian ideas. Presumably if some scientist thought it worth testing, there must have been other people thinking it.

In 1888, Weismann delivered a lecture at the meeting of the Association of German Naturalists at Cologne, Germany, in which he described the results of an experiment that he said contradicted Lamarck’s theory and supported the theory of the Weismann Barrier. The lecture became the eighth chapter of Essays on Heredity titled “The Supposed Transmission of Mutilations”. In the experiment, Weismann cut off the tails of 901 mice and their offspring for five generations. If acquired characteristics were heritable, Weismann reasoned, the experimental mice should eventually produce offspring with no tails. Yet, as Weismann had predicted, the descendants of those amputee mice still grew tails like normal mice. He used his experimental results to frame a comprehensive argument against the possibility of the inheritance of acquired characteristics.

a straw man trial maybe?

And in any case, Lamarck gets a bad rap. All his writing was before Darwin and Mendel. How was he supposed to know? And if you actually read Darwin, he believed in Lamarckism too. He just didn’t think that was the exclusive or dominant mechanism.

1 Like

Uhoh

What

Uhoh

2 Likes