2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

Using a PIN is a PITA, especially when your employer requires setting that make you choose a new one every few months

I support Arnoldā€™s pettiness.

Also remind people Sly is really short. I met him one time and he was barely up to my chest.

1 Like

If thatā€™s all, then Iā€™m good.

This is probably a dumb question, but since I donā€™t even face ID, I really donā€™t know how it works. If you face ID, I thought that you still have a pin on there that can be used. Youā€™re saying that your employer doesnā€™t require you to change that if you face ID?

My employer has transitioned to two services that have absolutely torpedoed my productivity: Workday and SAP concur. Now, getting approval for and booking travel takes up roughly half a business day. Add another half day to successfully submit (over multiple rounds of emails) a reimbursement request for said travel. Iā€™m in utter misery right now.

You can still use a pin with Face ID. Might come up if you have a mask on for instance. You rarely get to use it though because of the way Face ID works. As soon as you pick up your phone it logs you in.

At some point during the pandemic, Apple rolled out an improvement to faceID they said would make it work better even if you were wearing a mask. I was very skeptical but it works perfectly.

Supposedly is focuses more on eyes and surrounding areas or something.

1 Like

If thatā€™s the case it seems weird that employer wouldnā€™t require him to change that for the same reason. The fact that he is personally using face ID, doesnā€™t change anything in that regard.

My employer email requires a Outlook-specific PIN thatā€™s different from the phone PIN (and different from my web-based email password) in order to check my email. I donā€™t even know what that PIN is anymore, and Iā€™d be miserable if I had to enter it anytime I tried to open Outlook on my phone.

Agreed. Someone not authorized with Face ID would be asked for the pin and able to use a short one, for instance, or hack a shorter one.

I am pretty sure you canā€™t disable passcode. Itā€™s the failsafe.

Your employer sounds awful.

I could make a long list of cons. But the big pro is that they pay me and canā€™t fire me. That makes up for a lot.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s weird. I guess if I were in that spot, I would probably do it.

What happens if you log in to your work email from a home laptop or whatever? Do you have face id on all devices?

Iā€™m sure if you set your mind to it, you could make it happen!

1 Like

I use Outlook on all of my devices and those just save the regular passord that I use for all employer-based things. That password has to be changed every 6 months.

Itā€™s the question that I think most people want to ask when they get tenure, but are smart enough not to ask it: What exactly would I have to do to get fired? Like, exactly how much could I slack off or what kind of terrible actions would I have to take before that was actually a possibility?

Increasingly common in the private sector. A lot of companies used to have HR departments and other operational groups that everyone hated, but at least they dealt with stupid administrative shit like booking travel and stuff like that. Large companies have been replacing these departments full of people that donā€™t sell anything with software like Workday. It has truly been one of the monumental business management missteps of the 21st century. These ā€œself serveā€ tools are supposed to be cheaper and faster but what the actually do is distract people from their day job to deal with shit that someone else used to deal with. Karen from HR was an annoying weirdo, but now you have to do her job and your job. Itā€™s fucking insane. Companies fell hook, line, and sinker for a BS sales pitch from Workday consultants telling them they could fire all of HR and install Workday at half the cost. They didnā€™t mention that youā€™d be tying up your productive workforce for hours at a time to do ā€œself serviceā€ functions in a tool they donā€™t understand and have no interest in learning.

1 Like

So, why canā€™t your phone do that too? Iā€™m not understanding where the face ID is saving you inconvenience.

For whatever reason, my employer has imposed a requirement on the phone Outlook app that it requires affirmative identification (via FaceID or the PIN I donā€™t remember) every time I open the app, but they havenā€™t imposed that same requirement on desktop or laptop clients. Presumably thatā€™s because desktops and laptops are more secure than phones? Maybe thatā€™s true for my employer-owned machines, but thatā€™s almost certainly not true for the desktop at home that Iā€™m on right now - I donā€™t have a lock screen/timeout set, so as long as the computer is on, someone could just saunter in here, click open Outlook and read all of my emails.

Please, please, please, donā€™t jinx this into changing.

For anyone wondering why I have so much free time right now.

Got another school yelling at me for not knowing what my travel arrangements are yet. (And yes, itā€™s mandatory that we book all university-related travel through here.)

itā€™s not changing the PIN that is the biggest annoyance, although there is a bit of annoyance for however long it takes me to stop trying to use the old PIN. itā€™s really just typing it in.

to be honest, thereā€™s probably a 25% chance on any attempt that i mistype my PIN, which used to be a number but now has to use letters for some reason. add to that the times when i have to try to do it with one hand or wearing gloves, and using my face is so much faster.