2020 Election Thread 3: Bernie Memes

What date do people estimate Schumer actually takes over as Majority leader? Needs Ossoff, Warnock, and Kamala’s replacement to all be sworn in for this to actually happen.

It sounds like it will happen the 19th to 22nd. Depends when GA officially certifies.

Is there any word on Kamala’s replacement?

ETA: just saw it should happen Jan 20 after inauguration

California Secretary of State Alex Padilla. I think the procedure is that she resigns her seat shortly before the inauguration, when there are no further votes that she might be needed for in the Senate.

1 Like

I would guess they do it the same day. Kamala could resign at any point, but Senate not in session till the 19th so don’t see it happening before then. If GA for some reason is taking too long, they could just do it the 19th, but expect they’ll just do it one joint ceremony, as nothing changes until all three sworn in.

If Mitch is really on board I assume he calls the senate back before then.

Why? If he waits the Senate trial slows down Biden’s ability to enact new legislature. Two birds with one stone.

If you aim for the King you best not miss. If they don’t move quickly the whole momentum may fade.

2 Likes

Not sure why we’re fretting over slowed down legislation when the first 100 days figure to be at most one reconciliation bill and then a bunch of mewling about how we shouldn’t nuke the filibuster entirely. If they have the support to nuke the filibuster entirely, sure, ok, I can see concern about the Senate trial.

1 week

52 hours

7 Likes

10 Likes

It’s Inauguration Day! We all made it to a day we probably weren’t sure would actually ever come. A return to, at least competent leadership.

If anyone was wondering, I’ve been the person obsessively updating the title of this thread every morning. For me it was actually an almost therapeutic thing to do first thing in the morning every day. Finally the countdown is over and the worst Presidency in American history is at an end. Still a lot to be done to be better as a country, but it’s one step towards improvement.

15 Likes

The worst Presidency so far.

11 Likes

Also:

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-cheese-lovers-day-january-20/

1 Like

It’s also Penguin Awareness day!

https://twitter.com/HealeyCartoons/status/1351830061578649601

3 Likes

Happy day for Republicans, who can now forget Donald Trump ever existed and begin working hard thank you on the most important issue of our day, the national debt.

10 Likes

This country needs to live within its means!

Lol gold plated mic and giant bird broach.

Stay classy, Gaga

1 Like

“We have never ever, ever, ever failed in America” :roll_eyes:

2 Likes